Thread: One of the most disgusting threads of the year

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 One of the most disgusting threads of the year 
    unhappycamper (1000+ posts) Tue Nov-09-10 07:48 AM
    Original message
    Study: Kids of deployed military have more behavioral problems

Research shows that children of enlisted Army soldiers are more likely to suffer maltreatment when a parent is away in combat, and Army wives are more likely to be diagnosed with depression.

Study: Kids of deployed military have more behavioral problems
    By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY

A new study suggests nine years of war is taking a toll on U.S. children.

Children of active-duty military personnel make 18% more trips to the doctor for behavioral problems and 19% more visits for stress disorders when a military parent is deployed compared with when the parent is home, according to a study of children ages 3 to 8 in today's Pediatrics.

Those increases are even more striking given that the overall number of doctors' visits declined 11% during deployment, perhaps because the lone parent at home was so busy, says study author Gregory Gorman, who analyzed the medical records of nearly 643,000 children and 443,000 parents from 2006 to 2007.

Gorman, a pediatrician with the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., says military doctors are usually aware of the burden on such children, but he hopes more civilian doctors, who care for two-thirds of kids in military families, will find out if a parent is deployed and ask how families are coping.

Research shows that kids of enlisted Army soldiers are more likely to suffer maltreatment when a parent is in combat and that Army wives are more likely to be diagnosed with depression, anxiety, sleep disorders or other mental health conditions when their husbands are deployed.
    Opening thread by the new moderator who posts tons of "bad" stories about the military.

Bragi (1000+ posts) Tue Nov-09-10 07:55 AM
    Response to Original message
    2. Going to war is a form of child abuse
    Edited on Tue Nov-09-10 07:55 AM by Bragi
    Seriously, what is a parent of young children thinking when they voluntarily decide to sign up for a job that will take them away on dangerous foreign missions while their families are left behind to spend every day worrying about their absent loved one?

And what are we as a society thinking when we make an effort to target for recruitment people who are parents of young children for service in our unending stream of aggressive occupations and shooting wars?

I don't know what others call it when someone leaves their children to worry every hour of every day about whether their parent will survive the day, but I know what I call it: it's a form of child abuse.
    Hey, Bragi. FUCK YOU! I'm a child of a father who voluntarily enlisted, and spent more then 6 months in the Persian Gulf during Op. Desert Shield/Storm, a year in Korea, and probably more then a year combined of other TDY's.

You want to know what effect it had on me? NONE! Because my father made sure that the time he was home was good, and fulfilling.

Now I'm deployed, with my child at home, and I will not listen to some worthless sack of shit like you telling me that I am abusing my son.

Bragi (1000+ posts) Tue Nov-09-10 08:08 AM
    Response to Reply #3
    4. It's still child abuse
    Edited on Tue Nov-09-10 08:11 AM by Bragi
    You make a good point that many people with small children go into the military because they lack any other opportunity. I regret that this is indeed the case. However, the end result is still a form of child abuse.

I'd just like us to call it what it is. If this doesn't shame us into deciding that our wars and our bloated military are unacceptable, then it is our shame. The children of soldiers who are among the victims of our wars still suffer abuse.

For my part, I think it takes more guts for parents to refuse to be sucked into the military than it does to join up and let your kids suffer the consequences.
    No it's not, you dumb fucking ****.

13. I'm mostly unemployed
    I find part time work from time-to-time but it is very slow and has been for a couple of years.

I would re-enlist in a heartbeat if I could.
    Bragi (1000+ posts) Tue Nov-09-10 08:39 AM
    Response to Reply #13
    16. And if you have children...
    Edited on Tue Nov-09-10 09:01 AM by Bragi
    They would suffer in consequence of your decision to re-enlist.

To be clear, they would also suffer adverse consequences from being raised in a low income household. But I think that if you left it to your loved ones to decide which they might dread most -- being low income, or worrying every day about your safety and your life -- then they may well choose to do without a few things they'd like to have, rather than risk worrying about, and maybe facing, life without you forever.
    Bragi (1000+ posts) Tue Nov-09-10 08:34 AM
    Response to Reply #12
    15. We could be honest with them about their choices
    I think we could be honest with parents who show up to enlist by making it clear that a decision to enlist will most likely be harmful to the mental health of their children and their spouses.

In other words, we could be honest with them about the impact of their decision on their loved ones.

I think one way of doing this would be for some of the peace groups to start talking openly and honestly about this aspect of our growing "neo-warrior" culture.

Far as I can tell, most people, including people who openly advocate peace, are afraid to speak the truth about this.
    You think we don't fucking know? I know exactly what my choices where when I decided to enlist. I knew what my choices where when I decided to get married, and I knew what my choices where when I decided to have children.

But what the fuck do you know?

My son is absolutely fine. He's growing up just as he should be, because he knows he has a father who loves him, and supports him, and even though he's not there now, he will be. He's also (or will be, when he's old enough to understand the concept) learning that there are things more important that himself. He's learning that sometimes things have to be put before others. And he'll be learning to make the best of what he can with what he has.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x9518793

And I stopped here, because this wanker just really ruined the wonderful mood I had today.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Don't let it get you down, djones. The DUmmy is too ignorant to realize the importance of your service and the sacrifices you and your family makes.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Horror of horrors; my children have problems. They have problems just like all the other children of non military children. I too was the child of a military officer and had problems too. After 24 years of service, I still have problems.
    Deal with it.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I look at it like this. If the States are ever invaded. These Dumbasses will be in-front of out troops marching to the enemy brandishing their "Strongly" worded signs condemning the aggressions being made. The enemy invaders will waste a lot of time and ammo on them, and not our real heroes.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Don't let these clowns get to you. The don't care about your kids, much less you.

We all know that deployments are tough on families, especially kids, but we also know that if we don't deploy, the future that they inherit will be worse. We're sacrificing now so that they won't have to live in fear later. That's what these idiots don't get. And the line about claiming that it takes more courage not to enlist is just a justification of cowardice.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Opening thread by the new moderator who posts tons of "bad" stories about the military.

Hey, Bragi. FUCK YOU! I'm a child of a father who voluntarily enlisted, and spent more then 6 months in the Persian Gulf during Op. Desert Shield/Storm, a year in Korea, and probably more then a year combined of other TDY's.

You want to know what effect it had on me? NONE! Because my father made sure that the time he was home was good, and fulfilling.

Now I'm deployed, with my child at home, and I will not listen to some worthless sack of shit like you telling me that I am abusing my son.

No it's not, you dumb fucking ****.

You think we don't fucking know? I know exactly what my choices where when I decided to enlist. I knew what my choices where when I decided to get married, and I knew what my choices where when I decided to have children.

But what the fuck do you know?

My son is absolutely fine. He's growing up just as he should be, because he knows he has a father who loves him, and supports him, and even though he's not there now, he will be. He's also (or will be, when he's old enough to understand the concept) learning that there are things more important that himself. He's learning that sometimes things have to be put before others. And he'll be learning to make the best of what he can with what he has.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x9518793

And I stopped here, because this wanker just really ruined the wonderful mood I had today.
    hooah bro
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

I'll take an absentee father because of deployment any day of the week over an absentee father because mom and dad never bothered to have a commitment to each other strong enough to overcome their drinking, drugs, or regular Friday night fights. In one case there is usually some morality and honor imparted to the children, including the reason for the absenteeism.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I'll take an absentee father because of deployment any day of the week over an absentee father because mom and dad never bothered to have a commitment to each other strong enough to overcome their drinking, drugs, or regular Friday night fights. In one case there is usually some morality and honor imparted to the children, including the reason for the absenteeism.
    Yes, let's compare married parents in stable work/social environments and their kids and put them up against fatherless children, the children of divorce, children shoehorned into step-families or worse yet, children forced to interact with their parents' various lovers and see what we come up with.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yes, let's compare married parents in stable work/social environments and their kids and put them up against fatherless children, the children of divorce, children shoehorned into step-families or worse yet, children forced to interact with their parents' various lovers and see what we come up with.
    So far I've gotten a porsche and a pretty good start on retirement. :D