Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Expert: past 10 days have been worst of President Obama's 'political life' 
    WASHINGTON - President Obama is coming home from his overseas trip pretty much empty-handed.

After watching his party take a beating in the midterm elections, Obama wasn't able to secure even a symbolic victory on a trip that was expected to give him plenty of opportunities to claim a win.

"This certainly was the worst 10 days of his political life," said Baruch College political scientist Doug Muzzio. "Given that he's not going to be able to get any domestic achievements with the Republicans in control of the House ... if he doesn't do it in foreign policy that's a big problem for him.

"He came back with bupkis [Yiddish for 'nothing']."

Obama's inauspicious 10-day, four-nation trip included a failure to land an anticipated slam dunk free trade agreement with South Korea.

It also included a botched effort to rally Western allies to press China to budge on a monetary policy that threatens to keep the U.S. economy in the tank.

Yet Obama appeared to shrug off the lack of results during summit meetings with the world's most powerful leaders.

"Naturally, there's an instinct to focus on the disagreements, because otherwise, these summits might not be very exciting; it's just a bunch of world leaders sitting around intervening," Obama told reporters in South Korea.

"What's remarkable is that in each of these successive summits we've actually made real progress," he added, without anything of substance to point to.

Compounding his problems, Obama had to dial back on comments made back home by top adviser David Axelrod, who suggested Obama will cave on ending tax cuts for the rich.

Even when he had a chance to back embattled outgoing Speaker Nancy Pelosi, his biggest political ally who wants to remain leader of the House Democrats, he hedged.

"I think Speaker Pelosi has been an outstanding partner for me," Obama said. "I think Harry Reid has been a terrific partner in moving some very difficult legislation forward."

Experts scoffed.

"If President [George W.] Bush was the great decider, then President Obama is the great considerer," Muzzio said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...midterm_l.html
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

If these were the worst 10 days for president hussein, these have been the worst two years for America..........

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    If these were the worst 10 days for president hussein, these have been the worst two years for America..........
    You almost have to feel bad for him. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I would, except that his political life has been what, a couple of years in the Illinois State Senate and a couple of years in the US Senate? We're not exactly talking about a long career here. Fruit flies have longer resumes.

Besides, after what he's done to the nation, he's not the one that I feel sorry for.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I would, except that his political life has been what, a couple of years in the Illinois State Senate and a couple of years in the US Senate? We're not exactly talking about a long career here. Fruit flies have longer resumes.

Besides, after what he's done to the nation, he's not the one that I feel sorry for.
    QFT
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

But we've all been so mean to him!!1!!!!

But we've all been so mean to him!!1!!!!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I feel bad for America.

Quote Originally Posted by FBIGuy View Post
    I feel bad for America.
    You know, as painful and bad for America as the Obamanation has been,
    in some ways I think he is going to go down in history as the man who
    actually saved America. He has shown the country what's on the other
    side of the fence. And I think that scared the chit out of those who have
    been apathetic to what's going on in US politics. He woke the nation up.
    It's the old "what doesn't kill us will make us stronger' adage. He's done
    almost as much to unite the country again as 9-11 did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    You know, as painful and bad for America as the Obamanation has been, in some ways I think he is going to go down in history as the man who actually saved America. He has shown the country what's on the other side of the fence. And I think that scared the chit out of those who have
    been apathetic to what's going on in US politics. He woke the nation up. It's the old "what doesn't kill us will make us stronger' adage. He's done almost as much to unite the country again as 9-11 did.
    In other words, when America needed a catastrophe to bring us together, we got Obama? :D

Somehow, I don't see that as his 2012 campaign slogan. Or maybe it will be, if that's all that he can claim at that point.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!