Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How 70% of women say they LIKE doing housework 

How 70% of women say they LIKE doing housework

By Paul Bentley
    Last updated at 12:27 AM on 13th November 2010

It may be hard to tell as they dust, scrub and vacuum, but apparently most women actually enjoy doing housework. A study found that as many as 70 per cent admit they gain satisfaction from doing the laundry and mopping floors.

This is particularly prevalent among older people, with pensioners saying they find sentimental value in taking the time to look after their treasured possessions.

The results, from a national survey of 25,000 adults, suggest the 21st century housewife has far more in common with her 1950s counterpart than she might have thought. Household chores: A study found that as many as 70 per cent of women admit they gain satisfaction from doing the laundry and mopping floors.

With many more women now working full-time as their family’s sole breadwinner, a shift in gender roles might have been expected. But according to researchers, in the majority of British households it is still the women who do the chores, regardless of their working status.

(snip)

Many younger respondents said the ‘deep clean’ was not a feasible option with work and family commitments taking precedence over chores. Forty-seven per cent said they are reduced to cleaning up as they go along, and one in five admitted leaving chores until the weekend.

Miss Strutton said: ‘Younger people care far less about the cleanliness or tidiness of their home and don’t achieve as much sense of satisfaction from keeping a neat and tidy home.

‘If you are retired you can take time to clean and polish your furniture and dust your ornaments, mementoes and keepsakes.

'It is more pleasurable than needing to wipe crayon and pet hairs off the dining room table before your family can eat a meal.’
    It would be interesting to see how the questions were asked. I would bet that the results here wouldn't have been much different 50 years ago with enjoyment or satisfaction increasing steadily as women age as the children either become less destructive or just leave. It's hard to take pride in your work when it's destroyed within 10 minutes.

As for women doing more than men, I don't know that will ever change. Women care more about their physical environments than most men do. As with anything, the person who cares the most about the outcome will shoulder the burden of making that happen. ;)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz15MsutZfY

I must be in the 30th percentile :o

But my house is clean, I pay someone to do it for me....

Cooking and entertaining is my thing.

It always feels satisfying to do some work and to do a job well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Also women are undoubtably the superior sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

I just hope they are doing their housework and not wasting too much time reading about it here!
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 11-15-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I don't mind the housework. I don't even mind the extra stuff like maintaining and upkeep and decorating. And you're so right...men don't care so much about their environment. I swear. If it weren't for women, men would be living in tarpaper shacks sitting on cinder blocks and eating out of cans. REALLY. It's WOMEN that are the civiilizing influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I don't mind the housework. I don't even mind the extra stuff like maintaining and upkeep and decorating. And you're so right...men don't care so much about their environment. I swear. If it weren't for women, men would be living in tarpaper shacks sitting on cinder blocks and eating out of cans. REALLY. It's WOMEN that are the civiilizing influence.
    Absolutely. My husband is physically incapable of detecting dust. This isn't just a clever ruse on his part, he literally can't see it. Having him do routine housework would mean having to live with his standards. No way.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I just hope they are doing their housework and not wasting too much time reading about it here!
    Quite right. Wouldn't want to deprive them of the pleasure. :)
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Absolutely. My husband is physically incapable of detecting dust. This isn't just a clever ruse on his part, he literally can't see it. Having him do routine housework would mean having to live with his standards. No way.
    I'm with him. Vacuum. Mop. Dust. Polish.

All that work and six months later you have to do it all over again.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Power CUer
    It's also satisfying to contract it out. That's one check worth writing every week!
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken