Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Arguments for or Against Elective Abortion. 
    Bleda
    I don't mind changing the topic to abortion. The prostitution discussion's run its course, anyway. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Abortion, at least the vast, vast majority of them, do no demonstrable harm and actually help people, in many circumstances. Many disagree with that because their theological beliefs tell them otherwise... but we can't be using those as justifications or basis for law - just like in the case of prostitution.
    Do you mind elaborating on that? I have to say, it makes no sense to me.

I don't mind either but we need to start a new thread for it. Others may wish to pursue the original thread without this deviation. ;)

That said, have at it. Be respectful, cautious, and not kneejerk (to both sides).:)

IMHO - given that most people who support abortion do so because of cases of rape, incest, or when the life of the mother is at risk. Conservatives need to realize that fact and be flexible in those three cases. Reality is that less than 10% of all abortions that are performed each year are done for one of those three reasons. Why be inflexible? If we bend on those three cases 90% of abortions would be stopped. It doesn't make sense - to me at least - to stand on the idea of no abortions EVER when we could end the vast majority by allowing for those three cases.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    IMHO - given that most people who support abortion do so because of cases of rape, incest, or when the life of the mother is at risk. Conservatives need to realize that fact and be flexible in those three cases. Reality is that less than 10% of all abortions that are performed each year are done for one of those three reasons. Why be inflexible? If we bend on those three cases 90% of abortions would be stopped. It doesn't make sense - to me at least - to stand on the idea of no abortions EVER when we could end the vast majority by allowing for those three cases.
    Those are interesting stats, where did you find them? I wouldn't have thought it would be as high as 10%.

Bleda
    I don't know about rape or incest; I don't consider those reasons to kill a human being. A compromise would be to allow abortion if it was a fact or there was a very high chance the mother's life would be in danger. At least the 'self-defense' argument would apply here.

But most 'pro-choice' people I've known, and I don't question their morality or anything, seem to be in favor of abortion for any reason (at least during the early stages), not just rape, incest or mother's health. Reasons range from “It's unwanted” to “It would interfere with the mother's education/career.”

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    2 words: Bull Shit.

Most people who support abortion do so because it's an easy solution to irresponsible behavior. And conservatives are usually flexible in those 3 cases but I'd venture to say that less than 5% of abortions are performed for those reasons. What has conservatives like me all bent out of shape are those who support abortions for underage girls without parental consent. Christ, you can't give a kid a fucking aspirin without parental consent but you can have an abortion?
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 11-17-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I think it can be difficult for pro-life people today to abide with the rape/incest argument. Back in the 60s, that made sense but today with what we know about fetal development, it's a harder case to make. Back then, a lot of people really didn't know "when life begins". Today we obviously do.

That said, I'm never a fan of the perfect compromising the good. We have to change the cultural attitude that a woman who gives a child into adoption is somehow a "worse" mother than one who keeps a child she can't care for well. :(

Bleda
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Those are interesting stats, where did you find them? I wouldn't have thought it would be as high as 10%.
    I know, I thought it was too high too.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/poli...abreasons.html

Summary: This report reviews available statistics regarding reasons given for obtaining abortions in the United States, including surveys by the Alan Guttmacher Institute and data from seven state health/statistics agencies that report relevant statistics (Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Utah). The official data imply that AGI claims regarding "hard case" abortions are inflated by roughly a factor of three. Actual percentage of U.S. abortions in "hard cases" are estimated as follows: in cases of rape or incest, 0.3%; in cases of risk to maternal health or life, 1%; and in cases of fetal abnormality, 0.5%. About 98% of abortions in the United States are elective, including socio-economic reasons or for birth control. This includes perhaps 30% for primarily economic reasons.

from guttmacher.org. I did a research paper on it in college. 10% is being a bit generous to be frank but even so . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Of course, this is just one study but I'd guess it's as accurate today:

92% of Women Cite "Social" or "Other" Reasons
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.