1. #1 New York's Mayor launches crusade against the salty winter warmer 
    As the winter months are drawing in, most people like nothing better than to sit down to a big, hot, bowl of soup.

But New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has stepped up his campaign to get the city's residents to eat healthier and has now targeted the winter-warmer as one of the big offenders.

A new advertising campaign has been launched trying to get people to cut down on their salt intake and Mr Bloomberg said canned soup is one of the biggest culprits.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz15eamk4nM

No soup for you!

Bloombutt needs to get his nose out of other people's food.... THE SWINE!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I thought Bloomberg was a republican. Geez.

Campbells makes low sodium versions of their best-selling soups, like chicken noodle. Nobody buys it because it doesn't taste as good as the original.

People will just add salt to low salt soup. Most soups are like 80% water or more. Without salt, soup would be pretty pointless.

I wish people like this would find out what salt actually does before they make these draconian pronouncements. Most people don't have the type of high blood pressure that responds to low salt diets. Those that do, know it and have other problems that require medical management.

Demonizing salt won't change the public health picture. Soups are an excellent low calorie way of eating veggies. The average overweight person who includes a lot of soup in his diet will benefit from both the added veggies and the weight loss much more than they will benefit from salt restriction. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I thought Bloomberg was a republican. Geez.
    Nope, he was a ticket switcher. Dropped the D when he saw the R was much more in favor with the people.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    last nite on his show, Bill Maher said that democrats ARE NOT limiting salt in our foods. oh yeah. i heard him. that stupid huckabee was on there.