Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Sad Saga of a Soldier from Long Island 
    This is a sad story about an icon of the war. Should never happen to anyone that's served.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...36,print.story

The sad saga of a soldier from Long Island
    BY MARTIN C. EVANS

martin.evans@newsday.com

9:37 PM EDT, July 5, 2008

The March 2003 image became one of the most iconic of the U.S. invasion of Iraq: that of a bespectacled American soldier carrying an Iraqi child to safety. The photograph of Army Pfc. Joseph Dwyer, who was raised in Mount Sinai, was used by news outlets around the world.

After being lionized by many as the human face of the U.S. effort to rebuild a troubled Iraq, Dwyer brought the battlefield home with him, often grappling violently with delusions that he was being hunted by Iraqi killers.

His internal terror got so bad that, in 2005, he shot up his El Paso, Texas, apartment and held police at bay for three hours with a 9-mm handgun, believing Iraqis were trying to get in.

Last month, on June 28, police in Pinehurst, N.C., who responded to Dwyer's home, said the 31-year-old collapsed and died after abusing a computer cleaner aerosol. Dwyer had moved to North Carolina after living in Texas.

Dwyer, who joined the Army two days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and who was assigned to a unit of the 3rd Infantry Division that one officer called "the tip of the tip of the spear" in the first days of the U.S. invasion, had since then battled depression, sleeplessness and other anxieties that military doctors eventually attributed to post-traumatic stress disorder.

The war that made him a hero at 26 haunted him to the last moments of his life.

"He loved the picture, don't get me wrong, but he just couldn't get over the war," his mother, Maureen Dwyer
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I was just coming here to post this. How very sad. The man was heroic. I hope that we can get these veterans the help they need. Unfortunately, whether it's through the VA or privately, there is not always a successful resolution for the mental health issues caused by such trauma.

RIP and prayers for his family.

Goldwater
    War can do horrible things to the mind.

Rest in peace sir.

Rest in peace. I know of too many of these kind of stories from Vietnam vets. I could go on and on but.....every time I try to relate these stories
    to enlighten, I am accused of being morbid. It is morbid for these families and be ever so sure the families DO have to endure
    their horrors. It is true than many can make great improvements but it takes constant patience within the family, someone pushing
    the VA constantly, usually some congressional leverage and more funding which is just not there. Too many of these veterans do self medicate
    and his Mom was right. He never really came home. Not really.
    Last edited by vetwife; 07-08-2008 at 07:16 PM.

RIP brother. PTSD is such a more serious problem then a lot of people can truly comprehend. I've had close friends reduced to the point their own families wouldn't recognize them when they came home. Just pray for the safety of all our servicemembers in uniform and that the VA takes better care of them with each passing day.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

The dude was crazy.

After being lionized by many as the human face of the U.S. effort to rebuild a troubled Iraq, Dwyer brought the battlefield home with him, often grappling violently with delusions that he was being hunted by Iraqi killers.

This would actually make for an amusing Wonder Showzen episode.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
    The dude was crazy.

And you're an asshole.

The dude was crazy.

That shit doesn't play in this forum. If you delete your post, I'll delete that I quoted it.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    RIP brother. PTSD is such a more serious problem then a lot of people can truly comprehend. I've had close friends reduced to the point their own families wouldn't recognize them when they came home. Just pray for the safety of all our servicemembers in uniform and that the VA takes better care of them with each passing day.
    I understand what you saying. PTSD is a bad daddy. However, sometimes you just have to soak it up and get on with life.

I remember when I was young there were WWII and Korean vets around that "weren't quite right because of the war". It was PTSD but they didn't have a name for it yet.

Many of my fellow Vietnam vets were afflicted with it and it seems to affect the WOGT vets also.

They can't do to themselves what the enemy was unable to do. They can't destroy themselves. They can't let the war continue after DEROS.

God bless PFC Dwyer.

gator
    The dude was crazy.

I am not an admin or mod anymore but if I hear you dishonor another one of of brave vets like that again I will see to it that you are kicked out of here, you stupid sonofabitch. Go fuck yourself.