Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Do you talk politics or about the news with your kids? 
    Banned
    Just wondering.
    My parents do at times, they used to before than now--Now they're just kind of disgusted with it all. They didn't even vote in 2008 because they found both candidates to be lacking. So yeah, though they talked about politics more often when I was a bit younger, they don't now.

What about you? Do you talk about politics around your kids, or even with them? What about the news--Same questions?

I think--and you can disagree--I think that parents SHOULD talk about their politics or their take on the news with their kids. First of all, it's just one more way for them to know you; Secondly, it might pique their interest in politics too and make them civics minded adults--And maybe, they'll become something or seek to change things.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Just wondering.
    My parents do at times, they used to before than now--Now they're just kind of disgusted with it all. They didn't even vote in 2008 because they found both candidates to be lacking. So yeah, though they talked about politics more often when I was a bit younger, they don't now.

What about you? Do you talk about politics around your kids, or even with them? What about the news--Same questions?

I think--and you can disagree--I think that parents SHOULD talk about their politics or their take on the news with their kids. First of all, it's just one more way for them to know you; Secondly, it might pique their interest in politics too and make them civics minded adults--And maybe, they'll become something or seek to change things.
    I don't talk politics specifically with my kids, though my hubby and I discuss things when they're around. However, if my kid has a school assignment about something political and asks for help, the right view is certainly discussed. For example, my youngest needed to do a paper on "Intolerance" a couple weeks ago, settled on an issue in Florida where school officials were threatened with a fine and 6 months jail time for saying a blessing before a meal...off school property...with only adults present. I pulled up several news stories, and SHE chose that one. :D
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

My son is 2 and a half years old... so no.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I don't have kids but I'm pretty sure one of the Shelties is a crypto-Commie.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I've been brainwashing my brat his entire life. I make him watch Red Dawn every night before bed. He is prepared to kill all commies and hippies on sight.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Just wondering.

I do, but for the most part Octavia just sits in my lap and purrs.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

My parents never talked politics when I was a child. They were fairly apolitical with conservative positions on social issues but they felt that was more of an issue of morality instead of politics. I'm pretty sure they never voted.

I enjoyed discussing social issues with them as a child, I was always one for debate and discussion, but they didn't seem to care which candidate won.

I don't have children of my own yet but I want to teach them critical thinking skills and if they have the same thirst for knowledge that I do, then I can simply surround them with materials and allow them to form their own ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    My parents never talked politics when I was a child. They were fairly apolitical with conservative positions on social issues but they felt that was more of an issue of morality instead of politics. I'm pretty sure they never voted.

I enjoyed discussing social issues with them as a child, I was always one for debate and discussion, but they didn't seem to care which candidate won.

I don't have children of my own yet but I want to teach them critical thinking skills and if they have the same thirst for knowledge that I do, then I can simply surround them with materials and allow them to form their own ideas.
    Seriously the world is populated enough get a vasectomy or better yet just lop them off, your life will be so much simpler. Do it for Mother Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I've been brainwashing my brat his entire life. I make him watch Red Dawn every night before bed. He is prepared to kill all commies and hippies on sight.
    Shannon, you demonstrate excellence in parenting skills.

I grew up in a family that discussed the news and politics all the time. We were always encouraged to look at issues from all angels, form our own opinions, and then vote accordingly. I always discussed the news, politics and important people in history with my son when he was growing up. I think it's important.

w.w.w. is the result you get when parents are apathetic to political discussion.
    Last edited by Kay; 11-19-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    lol! YOU GO GIRL!! :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.