Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 US-Iraq deal on 2011 pullout 
    Sonnabend
    Agreement in principle

Negotiators have finalised a deal which will see the complete withdrawal of US troops from Iraq by 2011, ending an eight-year occupation, the top Iraqi heading the team said today.

Under the 27-point deal all US combat troops will be withdrawn from Iraqi cities by next June, said negotiator Mohammed al-Haj Hammoud.The agreement has already been approved by US President George W Bush and now needs to be endorsed by Iraqi leaders, he added.

Baghdad and Washington had agreed to "withdraw the US troops from Iraq by end of 2011", said Mr Hammoud. "The combat troops will withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 2009. Both the parties have agreed on this," he added. "The negotiators' job is done. Now it is up to the leaders."

The security pact will decide the future of US forces in Iraq once the present UN mandate, which provides the legal framework for the presence of foreign forces in Iraq, expires in December.

Mr Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki had agreed last November to formalise such an agreement by July 31.

Oh great, the year the world comes to an end... according to the Mayans. Who would have thought that Bush would be the one to usher this event in... even though he'll be out of office?

BUSH IS GOING TO DO IT!
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Agreement in principle

Negotiators have finalised a deal which will see the complete withdrawal of US troops from Iraq by 2011, ending an eight-year occupation, the top Iraqi heading the team said today.

Under the 27-point deal all US combat troops will be withdrawn from Iraqi cities by next June, said negotiator Mohammed al-Haj Hammoud.The agreement has already been approved by US President George W Bush and now needs to be endorsed by Iraqi leaders, he added.

Baghdad and Washington had agreed to "withdraw the US troops from Iraq by end of 2011", said Mr Hammoud. "The combat troops will withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 2009. Both the parties have agreed on this," he added. "The negotiators' job is done. Now it is up to the leaders."

The security pact will decide the future of US forces in Iraq once the present UN mandate, which provides the legal framework for the presence of foreign forces in Iraq, expires in December.

Mr Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki had agreed last November to formalise such an agreement by July 31.
    If Obama wins they will scream for an immediate pull out !

It will definitely be interesting to see what Obama does IF he wins and this deal is in place. Does he tell the Iraqi's "I don't give a damn what you agreed to." and try to pull everyone out? Or does he accept the agreement and risk the wrath of the hardcore left, whom he promised a quick withdrawal?
    Hello, welcome to the United States of America.
    Please press 1 for English. If you can't please press 2 to disconnect until you learn how to speak English. Thank you.

The Obamites aren't going to like this. It kind of takes the wind out of their sails and gives the Obaminator one less arrow in his quiver.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The Obamites aren't going to like this. It kind of takes the wind out of their sails and gives the Obaminator one less arrow in his quiver.
    More importantly, it leaves a stable Iraq behind. In other words, "Mission Accomplished!"
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I'm picturing a bunch of squirrelly DIMocRATS around a table in full blown panic wondering what to bitch about next.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    More importantly, it leaves a stable Iraq behind. In other words, "Mission Accomplished!"
    Wanna place a friendly wager that if Barry wins the Prez, the press will somehow transform this act into something he "played a significant part in accomplishing"? :p

On a side note...does this mean I might not ever have to come back to this god-forsaken country?:D HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! Feb 2009, I'm out this bizitch and (hopefully) never coming back!!!

wait...afghanistan in the cards? :eek:
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Wanna place a friendly wager that if Barry wins the Prez, the press will somehow transform this act into something he "played a significant part in accomplishing"? :p
    Oh, absolutely. Just like they claimed that Jimmy Carter helped win the Cold War with help from Mikhail Gorbachev, who apparently intended to surrender the minute that he got into office.
    On a side note...does this mean I might not ever have to come back to this god-forsaken country?:D HAPPY
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    HAPPY JOY JOY! Feb 2009, I'm out this bizitch and (hopefully) never coming back!!!
    wait...afghanistan in the cards? :eek:
    Not to mention all of the other fun spots in a dangerous and unstable world. Don't think of it as another miserable tour in a third world hellhole, think of it as job security. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Yep. that's what I was going to say. Obama's big thing is the immediate pullout of Iraq.
    (I can hear the sucking sound now!)
    With this going through, he doesn't have much to stand on.