Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Unusual Thanksgiving Wednesday! 
    It's cold and kind of spooky out here. The high might crack freezing.

TOTD: What is your most unusual Thanksgiving experience? Unusual time, unusual place, unusual people, unusual food, or unusual situation?

TOTD: Tomorrow will probably the my most unusual. Never had Thanksgiving in a deployed dfac before.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    TOTD: Tomorrow will probably the my most unusual. Never had Thanksgiving in a deployed dfac before.
    Do you still get turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Do you still get turkey?
    I'm pretty sure we'll have a good spread tomorrow. They've had pies, cheese cakes, and devilled eggs out for the last week as a run up to the main event.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

We had Thanksgiving brunch at the Wrigley Mansion a few years ago. Great food. Beautiful mansion. Fun experience. But I definitely felt out of my element. The folks who attend this thing are generally dripping in money while we just played the part. My grandmother paid for the whole shebang (the first time) so it was good.

The year my grandmother died, we went again. In honor of her, I guess. Plus, we were all too exhausted to throw together a traditional dinner.

But we haven't been back since. We like to wear t-shirts and jean to our Turkey Day dinner. The folks at Wrigley would frown on that. :D

Power CUer
    Most unusual : St. John, 1991. My parents would rent a house on St. John for most of the winter, for a few years, and we'd try to get down there at some point. We went down that Thanksgiving and we made a reservation at the local restaurant for "Thursday night". They took it, not thinking about Thanksgiving. When we got there, the place was dark and locked.

This was at a rural end of the island, away from Cruz Bay, and we didn't want to deal with driving to the other end, so we went back home to see what was there. We baked some frozen pizza and had gin and tonics, and had a fine time. Every other menu at Thanksgiving was the same; that year was unique.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    It is a sunny warm 82 degrees in big B.R. Had the A.C. on after working in the yard yesterday. Cold weather is coming our way this weekend.

TOTD: Thanksgiving in Germany while in the Army many years ago.

It's in the 70's here, will get to the low 80's. It's beautiful and sunny. They say a cold front is coming Friday. Big deal, it will have a high in the mid 70's. They have a different concept of cold fronts here than they had in St Louis. :D

TOTD: Most unusual Thanksgiving is this year, when I won't be with my family, my sister and BIL, two sons and little grandkid. I'll be here in sunny Florida.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

TOTD: A sad memory for me.
    The most unusual I had was in 1979. I was home from college, all my family was there including both sets of grandparents. We'd all just about finished eating and were sitting there at the table still talking, when my granddad started feeling bad and said he needed to go home and lay down. He kept saying he'd gotten up early and was just tired. His wife and my dad helped him get in the car, and just soon as the car door closed he slumped over. Daddy just jumped in and drove to the ER fast as he could. It was a massive stroke that left him paralyzed and with significant brain damage. We all spent the rest of that Thanksgiving Day at the hospital.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Well on the way home tonight I picked up a HUGE Banana Cream Pie at Yoder's for tomorrow! YUM...:D

SLW is also going to make a punkin pie.
    May the FORCE be with you!