Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Top tech gifts: eReaders handy for more than reading 
    Top tech gifts: eReaders handy for more than reading
    07:01 AM

This holiday season should be especially merry for book lovers. By most accounts, eReaders such as Amazon's Kindle, Barnes & Noble's Nook, and the Sony Reader will be among the top-selling gifts. Recipients can carry hundreds of books without needing a follow-up visit to a chiropractor.

But eReaders can be useful even for people who aren't in a bookish mood. Here are a few tricks many can play:

-- Collect recipes. Use your computer to access recipes on the Web and then store them on your eReader with help from a free library management program called Calibre. First you save the recipe page as an html file. Then you use the program to translate it to your eReader's digital format and send it to your device -- either via a USB connection or as an email.

You also can use Calibre to round up and format text from newspaper and magazine sites, and blogs, and send them to your eReader.

-- Check your calendar. This is easy if your device can access the Internet, as most new models do. Input or synch your appointments to a Web-based service such as Google Calendar, and then access it using the browser in your eReader.

While you're at it, you may be able to use the Web connection to check your email, find information on Wikipedia, and interact with sites offering flight schedules, driving directions, and news, sports, and weather.
    USA Today

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Stupid Question because i know nothing of these things.

Can they also hold sound files? (MP3 music, etc.)
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Stupid Question because i know nothing of these things.

Can they also hold sound files? (MP3 music, etc.)
    Some of them can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Some of them can.
    Nice. I'd like a device that could hold text and sound files.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Nice. I'd like a device that could hold text and sound files.
    When I get a chance i will send you some links. You can start by looking on buy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    When I get a chance i will send you some links. You can start by looking on buy.com
    Nice. Thanks. :)

I usually receive shiny things or guns for Christmas but I'm thinking of asking for a wi-fi Kindle. A friend has one and it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I usually receive shiny things or guns for Christmas but I'm thinking of asking for a wi-fi Kindle. A friend has one and it's awesome.
    I have the 3G/wi-fi kindle. It's great, there are tons of free books available, currently I am reading Dracula and the I'll continue working my way through the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    I have the 3G/wi-fi kindle. It's great, there are tons of free books available, currently I am reading Dracula and the I'll continue working my way through the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre.
    That's good to know bijou. SLW is getting me one for Christmas. I should know, I just ordered it last night. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    That's good to know bijou. SLW is getting me one for Christmas. I should know, I just ordered it last night. :D
    It's so hard to hear a grown man whine about what he wants for Christmas. Now he's a happy man, but he's not going to get to use it til Christmas. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a Christmas present. :D

(I have to confess, I set the precedent.) I saw a couple things on sale at very, very low prices and bought one of them and pointed the other one out to SR. They're put away til Christmas, hidden away somewhere. I just hope SR finds them on Christmas Eve in whatever secret hiding place he stashed them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"