1. #1 Here they go again.... 
    Another bouncy martyr for socialized medicine.

OhioChick (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:29 PM
    Original message
    DU Lost a Member Last Night

Her name was "AzLady." She joined in 2008, but lurked for years prior.
    She was on the quiet side here, so many may not recognize her name. After I finally talked her into joining, DU and politics were all she could talk about. She loved DU. She posted here as long as she was physically able, but read until the end.

She fell ill a few years back, starting with a few symptoms and quickly went downhill over the past few months. She went doctor to doctor seeking help but was only given meds which usually didn't help. She had no health insurance since she lost several jobs, couldn't afford it and her home was in foreclosure. Over the past few months when the pain had gotten so bad that she was bedridden and spent her days moaning in pain, she begged for additional tests, but was denied due to her lack of health insurance.

Her husband begged the hospital to admit her and run a few tests a week ago (he did this often) and they finally complied. The tests showed that she had advanced stage colon and liver cancer. They gave her a week to live and she died last night holding her husband's hand.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense or if this post is all over the place. I'm in shock and numb. I somehow wonder in my mind had she had health care if they would've given her the necessary tests sooner and she'd still be here.

Azlady was my best friend and more like a big sister to me. She just turned 50. Her husband is crushed. She was a very big-hearted person. She was the kind of person to give whatever she could to help someone in need.

I'm beginning to ramble, so I must go now.
    Please keep her and her husband in your thoughts/prayers.
    Riiiiiight. She spends years wandering from doctor to doctor in excruciating pain, and none of them ever bothered doing anything other than to send her packing with a prescription.

Uh huh. Sure.

Let the howling begin!!

ShamelessHussy (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:40 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. thank you for sharing, my heart goes out to you and her loved ones, how tragic & terrible

our times truly are

but the show goes on, so many, do not notice.

i am completely SHOCKED and ANGERED by what our nation has become... things need to change, as a house divided can NOT stand!
    Yes, of course. It's the evil United States' fault that this bouncy tale was created.
    unkachuck (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:49 PM
    Original message
    very sorry to hear about AzLady....

....our capitalist healthcare system has claimed another victim....this totally disgusting and shameful....
    Of course. Capitalism has claimed a victim. Suuuure.
    riderinthestorm (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:49 PM
    17. This is a terrible story. So preventable if we had REAL access to health care in the US.

It makes me infuriated, devastated, and just plain horrified when I read about this. 50 years old!! AZlady had DECADES to contribute to our world....

I HATE what our society has become when we can't take care of people like your good friend. I know my words of comfort are probably cold comfort but please know her story means something, means a lot and I hope that helps you and her family today and in the days to come. Please know that stories like this are important and that her memory lives on....

Hugs and hopes for some peace very soon....
    Yes, we turned into this case of doctors turning away cancer patients, since, you know, it's illegal for doctors to turn away cancer patients.
    RamboLiberal (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:49 PM
    19. How Sad - Rest in Peace AzLady

My deepest sympathies to you OhioChick and her family.

Tears in my eyes that another dear person is a victim to this terrible health care system of ours.
    Yep. Juuuuussstt TERRIBLE. Which is why the health care industry spends hundreds of billions of dollars each year treating people without insurance who can't pay.
    Tatiana (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:58 PM
    26. RIP AZlady.

My condolences to her husband, family, and friends (including yourself).

I have no words. It's stories like this that leave me both unbearably sad and angry at the same time.

This woman did not have to die like this and should have been able to receive the diagnostic support and medical treatment that any other citizen in any other industrialized country would have received.
    Of course that would have been so much better. Diagnose her years ago and then put her on a waiting list, and then three years later when she dies 45th from the top of the list, we can all congratulate ourselves on what a terrific health system we have.

There is a bit of a hole in this Bouncy, though: she had already been diagnosed with, and treated for, skin cancer two years ago. And you'd certainly think that her friend who is a nurse might have recognized some cancer symptoms.

DUers will never, EVER pass up the opportunity to politicize someone's death. Unfuckingbelievable.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

2. #2 DU'er passes away. 
    OhioChick (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:29 PM
    Original message
    DU Lost a Member Last Night
    Advertisements [?]Her name was "AzLady." She joined in 2008, but lurked for years prior.
    She was on the quiet side here, so many may not recognize her name. After I finally talked her into joining, DU and politics were all she could talk about. She loved DU. She posted here as long as she was physically able, but read until the end.

She fell ill a few years back, starting with a few symptoms and quickly went downhill over the past few months. She went doctor to doctor seeking help but was only given meds which usually didn't help. She had no health insurance since she lost several jobs, couldn't afford it and her home was in foreclosure. Over the past few months when the pain had gotten so bad that she was bedridden and spent her days moaning in pain, she begged for additional tests, but was denied due to her lack of health insurance.

Her husband begged the hospital to admit her and run a few tests a week ago (he did this often) and they finally complied. The tests showed that she had advanced stage colon and liver cancer. They gave her a week to live and she died last night holding her husband's hand.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense or if this post is all over the place. I'm in shock and numb. I somehow wonder in my mind had she had health care if they would've given her the necessary tests sooner and she'd still be here.

Azlady was my best friend and more like a big sister to me. She just turned 50. Her husband is crushed. She was a very big-hearted person. She was the kind of person to give whatever she could to help someone in need.

I'm beginning to ramble, so I must go now.
    Please keep her and her husband in your thoughts/prayers.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=9646441

Rest in peace AzLady.

I would lable this a "Best of" but OhioChick had to politicize it, and it sets the tone for the rest of the thread.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Uh oh!:eek:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg