Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hybrid cars: If the public won’t buy ‘em, the Obama administration will 
    November 29, 2010 · 2 comments

First the government buys General Motors. Then they require the company to build electric cars that the public doesn’t want and won’t buy. So how can the government paper over this fiscal fiasco? By purchasing the cars from itself, of course.

In the words of Aretha Franklin, who’s zoomin’ who?

Fox News has the details of the government-created demand for government-created products:

President Barack Obama’s administration has bought almost a fourth of the Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. hybrid vehicles sold since he took office, accelerating federal purchases as consumer demand wanes.

The U.S. General Services Administration, which runs the government fleet, bought at least 14,584 hybrid vehicles in the past two fiscal years, or about 10 percent of 145,473 vehicles the agency purchased in that period, according to sales data obtained by Bloomberg under a Freedom of Information Act request. In fiscal 2008, hybrids accounted for less than 1 percent of government purchases, the data showed.

The government is boosting investment in a technology that has failed to win broad acceptance after more than a decade in the marketplace. Consumer sales of hybrids are headed for their third consecutive yearly decline. Government agencies and businesses have said they also will purchase all-electric models being introduced by automakers including GM.

“At some point, the reality is that for this technology to be accepted, it needs to be done without a government crutch,” said Jeff Schuster, director of forecasting at J.D. Power & Associates in Troy, Michigan. “But without a huge gas-price increase or further government demand, the natural demand just isn’t to be there.”
    To complete the story, it should be pointed out that Government Motors does have one other big customer in addition to itself.

General Electric, which makes the recharging stations for electric cars and who also received a big pile of stimulus money, has announced that it will buy a fleet of electric cars.

Can anyone say, “Shell game.”

Source: Fox News

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/hybrid-...istration-will
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

People don't want hybrids. People want hydrogen fuel cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    People don't want hybrids. People want hydrogen fuel cells.
    I want cheap gas.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I want cheap gas.

You are never going to have it again.

I've seen some Volts being driven around Detroit. They look like nice enough cars. I have no idea how well they drive, though.

No matter which way they are sold, the public "buys" them!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You are never going to have it again.

I've seen some Volts being driven around Detroit. They look like nice enough cars. I have no idea how well they drive, though.
    At a MSRP of $41k, they look like crap just like the Prius. The Volt cost 1 billion dollars for research and development. It will doom GM. BTW, Toyota loses money on everyone they sell and undercuts the price of the Volt by several thousand dollars.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 11-29-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Banned
    I want cheap gas.
    Gas is cheap compared to other products such as milk, orange juice, etc. Gas prices across the pond are almost double what they are here.

I want cheap gas.
    I want no gas - that's why I want hydrogen fuel cells. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I want no gas - that's why I want hydrogen fuel cells. :)
    But hydrogen fuel cells don't allow me to stomp down a huge carbon footprint though. :(

By volume, gasoline has more power than even dynamite. Don't even think of an electric eighteen wheeler hauling your necessities from a warehouse to retail stores in places where railroads don't run.

As for the hydrogen fuel cell, better read this first. And it takes more energy to produce hydrogen than hydrogen can deliver as an energy source. Hydrogen does not exist in it's natural state on Earth, so it has to be manufactured.

Remember that the object is to convert an energy source, any source, into mechanical motion...and do it as cheaply as possible, and in as compact a mode as possible.

My 2¢.......

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA