Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Plenty of Muslims are offended by Christmas. It's not just a minority of atheists.

I'd even go as far as to say, there are likely to be far more persons of religious inclination offended by Christmas than there are atheists offended by Christmas.

Anyway, like I said, I fuckin' love Christmas. :D I've been to evensong services. I like the pageantry, I like the the place it occupies in Western culture, I like being in European and American cities during very cold December days.

I don't actually have to believe in any of the underlying theology to enjoy it. If someone sends me a Christmas card with a picture of Jesus in a crib and some angels and whatnot, that's fine by me. What kind of idiot would I be to disrespect them for that?
    I don't see many Hindus or Buddhists who get offended by Christmas. The Buddhists even seem to share the iconography of a cheerful guy with a big belly, although with substantially less hair. I had to dime out my own people, but in the US, the religious groups most likely to complain about a Christian symbol in public or a Christmas celebration are secular Jews and pious Muslims.

Personally, I like Christmas, even though Mrs. O insists that I deocrate the house with lights (nobody ever fell off of their roof while lighting a Menorah, damn it!).
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I've got to tell you, as an atheist, I am not, in any way, offended at the use- or non-use of the Christmas Village name.

It might even surprise you to know that, as a secularist/humanist, I would actually FAVOR its retention, not oppose it.

I would really like it if CU in particular, and American Conservatism in general, would move away from this constant temptation to yield to knee-jerk bashing of us atheists in instances that are instead clearly related to, orchestrated and inspired by overzealous leftists.
    Oh Hampster??????????? Take a look at this.
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...83/detail.html
    These atheists just can't seem to understand the reason Christians would be offended. Apparently the timing doesn't occur to them.

"We don't even mention Christianity on the billboard," said Guttormson. "I would like to know what they're offended by. It's not even targeted to them. For instance, if there's a billboard talking about Migraines and it says, "Have a Migraine? Try Aspirin." Or something to that effect. People who don't have Migraines shouldn't be offended."
    People who don't have faith shouldn't be offended either.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    These atheists just can't seem to understand the reason Christians would be offended. Apparently the timing doesn't occur to them.

People who don't have faith shouldn't be offended either.
    Oh please. We're fucked three ways if we put up posters like this, depending on the timing.

Passover the Jews will hate us, Christmas the Christians will and god forbid we would do such a thing during Eid al Fitr.

Some of your religious types have been fucking up atheists and getting away with it for centuries. Why shouldn't we put a poster up if we want to, now that we actually can?

This is the modern world. Deal with it.

You know what I hate most about religious zealots? How goddamn easily offended they are at shit like this.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

This has gotten some play out here, obviously. The big issue is that the sign company refused to take money from people wanting Obama Birth Certificate signs but do take atheist money for similar signs objecting to "birth credentials".

Atheists objecting to Christmas (or any holiday) are pathetic. You will be the first up against the wall if Islam gets it's way. From a purely rational perspective, nothing is worth celebrating as a society. Neither personal birthdays nor national founding anniversaries are "worth" celebrating.

Neither have any relationship to personal action or decision-making. You could celebrate a one-time event but commemorating the change of seasons or any repetitive event (anniversaries, birthdays, etc.) makes no sense.

Banned
    ... From a purely rational perspective, nothing is worth celebrating as a society. Neither personal birthdays nor national founding anniversaries are "worth" celebrating.

Neither have any relationship to personal action or decision-making. You could celebrate a one-time event but commemorating the change of seasons or any repetitive event (anniversaries, birthdays, etc.) makes no sense.
    I disagree - I don't think there is anything irrational about an atheist placing value on positive emotions, like the kind that holidays can inspire.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I disagree - I don't think there is anything irrational about an atheist placing value on positive emotions, like the kind that holidays can inspire.
    Sounds like a good new thread in GD to me. ;)

One sentence? Where is Wilbur, what have you done to him, why are you using his account?:mad:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    On a road trip over thanksgiving, I actually lost count of the Christian billboards along all those state roads. Literally every batch of billboards would contain AT LEAST one. Usually more than.

Atheists *finally* get a few for themselves and people's heads start exploding....

On a road trip over thanksgiving, I actually lost count of the Christian billboards along all those state roads. Literally every batch of billboards would contain AT LEAST one. Usually more than.

Atheists *finally* get a few for themselves and people's heads start exploding....
    Don't read them, I hate crowds!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

My head is just fine Wilbur. The point is that atheists shouldn't be so concerned about or offended by something they don't believe anyway. If you don't believe it, why are you wanting to protest it? As for the bill boards, the timing is an issue. If atheists feel so strongly about their non-beliefs, why don't they have these expensive bill boards throughout the year? Strange how it is only offensive during the Christmas Holiday season.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand