Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    My head is just fine Wilbur. The point is that atheists shouldn't be so concerned about or offended by something they don't believe anyway.
    Right back at ya. Why are your knickers in a twist over a billboard that doesnt even address you or your beliefs?

If you don't believe it, why are you wanting to protest it?
    The billboards were appealing to unbelievers, not protesting religion. I believe the message was:

"Don't believe in God? You are not alone".

Doesnt sound like a protest to me.

As for the bill boards, the timing is an issue. If atheists feel so strongly about their non-beliefs, why don't they have these expensive bill boards throughout the year? Strange how it is only offensive during the Christmas Holiday season.
    In many places they do. But perhaps they wanted to reach out to some atheists who may be feeling alone or disincluded during the holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Right back at ya. Why are your knickers in a twist over a billboard that doesnt even address you or your beliefs?

The billboards were appealing to unbelievers, not protesting religion. I believe the message was:

"Don't believe in God? You are not alone".

Doesnt sound like a protest to me.

In many places they do. But perhaps they wanted to reach out to some atheists who may be feeling alone or disincluded during the holiday season.
    I have yet to protest an atheist. I don't believe in the flying purple spaghetti monster, to this minute I don't feel the need to protest it.

The protest is in the timing. Also, if these poor dear babies are feeling so "disincluded," isn't that what they want? They can't very well be included in something they resist and don't believe in. It's like me protesting that I didn't get a huge pile of Chow Mein for lunch. I hate Chow Mein so how can I miss it or protest that I didn't eat what I detest?
    Last edited by AmPat; 12-03-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Well I'm not bloody well offended. It looks to me like you're the one who's getting upset, not us atheists (not us CU atheists, at least).

Like I said earlier, there is probably no point in the calendar year that some religiously inclined individual or group of individuals isn't going to take offence at an atheist poster ad campaign. You, for instance, would no doubt get equally huffy if they went up during Easter as you are getting now.

The Jewish faith has key dates that we would be best avoiding, the Hindus have 30,000 gods in their pantheon each with his/her/its birthday, and did I mention the Muslims ... you know, the folk who really get bent out of shape at us atheists? You've probably heard of them, at least. They love getting offended.

Anyway, Christmas is an obvious time for an atheist recruitment drive in a Christian dominant country. It is also an obvious time for all manner of other ad campaigns and commercial crassness, which I'm guessing you don't mind so much. I personally wouldn't waste my money on a poster drive, but that's just me.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Banned
    Jeez Ody, I havent even broached this and you want to call me out? I Just dont care about this. At all.

I dont think anybody should. If it says Christmas, well, OK it say Christmas. Big deal. Either way, the PC religion arena is one I am happy not having any part of.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I have yet to protest an atheist. I don't believe in the flying purple spaghetti monster, to this minute I don't feel the need to protest it.
    Then why are bitching about the billboard? That's what you've been doing this whole thread!!

The protest is in the timing. Also, if these poor dear babies are feeling so "disincluded," isn't that what they want? They can't very well be included in something they resist and don't believe in. It's like me protesting that I didn't get a huge pile of Chow Mein for lunch. I hate Chow Mein so how can I miss it or protest that I didn't eat what I detest?
    First off, the heritage of the celebrations over the winter's solstice are wide and varied... and *older* than Christianity. Christianity doesnt *own* this time of year, and never has.

Whether an atheist *wants* to be included in religious celebrations and holidays or not, it does not necessarily take away from loneliness or feelings of disenfranchisement from the culture at large.

It seems that you just want special treatment. No atheist billboards, messages, or speech at any time of year or during a Christian holiday. That's fucking absurd. You want some cheese with that whine?

Banned
    Then why are bitching about the billboard? That's what you've been doing this whole thread!!

First off, the heritage of the celebrations over the winter's solstice are wide and varied... and *older* than Christianity. Christianity doesnt *own* this time of year, and never has.

Whether an atheist *wants* to be included in religious celebrations and holidays or not, it does not necessarily take away from loneliness or feelings of disenfranchisement from the culture at large.

It seems that you just want special treatment. No atheist billboards, messages, or speech at any time of year or during a Christian holiday. That's fucking absurd. You want some cheese with that whine?
    Militant Atheist: "Death to Christianity!"

We get it. You want religion to disappear. Shoo, angry little Atheist who hates Christianity.

I'm making a point on a board that generally consists of CONSERVATIVE opinions. Bitching is what bitches like you do. You don't like my opinion, leave. I won't miss your little b#### @$$ one whit.

Why are godless little bitches like you complaining about Christmas? If God doesn't exist, it shouldn't matter to you at all. You believe in a man's right to swallow a phallus, yet you cannot bring yourself to allow a Christian a right to believe in God.

Are you too stupid to see the absurd argument you are making. How can an atheist feel disenfranchised over something they don't believe in?

Nice try with the "winter solstice" crap. I asked why atheists chose this Christmas season to post their billboards. Are you suggesting it was coincidental? Puhleeze! Atheists chose this particular time as a direct affront to Christianity and you well know that. Let's see little brave Sir Robin Atheist picket the local mosque during ramadan. I guess that would be coincidental timing also?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Ya know - if you're offended by Christmas as a retailer, it's massively hypocritical to take our money during the Christmas season. I for one would refuse to shop there until the sign was replaced and then I would screen from whom I made purchase.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

OH FUN! Are you going to make the false claim that Christianity co-opted a pagan holiday and that Christmas was originally feast of sol invictus?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    OH FUN! Are you going to make the false claim that Christianity co-opted a pagan holiday and that Christmas was originally feast of sol invictus?
    His hatred for Christianity knows no bounds, I think. You can feel it through his posts, it's an ugly, seething hatred of all things Christian.