Thread: House Cleaning

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 House Cleaning 
    I was away for the Thanksgiving holiday, so I had to cancel my usual house cleaning services. A family of 3 Hondurian ladies who have cleaned my house biweekly for over a year. Through the year, I might have cancelled twice before due to "life happens"...but I stick to a biweekly schedule. I called yesterday to a pissed off cleaning lady about rescheduling..and she goes on and on about my cancellation. I suppose I'm not allowed to take a vacation because it messes up their schedule.

Anyway, I said I'll find someone else, and am going to let her go.

Now I have the daunting task of cleaning house:eek:, I've had a cleaning lady for the past 10 years. I do laundry and clean up, but the heavy lifting was done by the cleaning ladies.

So when/how do you houseclean? On Saturday, a little each day, tips? I hate to spend my weekends in the house cleaning..when I can be out shopping

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Let it get dirty, then move....
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Let it get dirty, then move....
    ...but I LIKE where I live...

Power CUer
    We use a maid service company rather than an individual. They don't take it personally when you cancel one week or reschedule; they accommodate you. We have it done every Friday, so it's nice for the weekend.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

This assumes you don't have little kids or defiant teens:

85% of keeping a clean house is not letting it get tragic in the first place. Pick up, throw out, wash, wipe, or put away as you go along having a normal life. Train others to do the same thing or at least not add to any work. It takes a few seconds to wash a glass or wipe off a counter.

I want all the dishes done and put away after dinner. If any dishes, cutlery, or whatever happens during the day, it gets cleaned right then. I have a 24 hour rule for homeless crap: it can live on the bar or a table or whatever for 24 hours only. After that, I find it a "home". Nobody wants me to do this so stuff gets put away pretty rapidly.

Use a squeegee inside your shower when you are done and keep a little towel under your bathroom sink to wipe it off before you leave in the morning. Sort mail instantly and by "sort", I mean pitch anything you aren't expecting. If you see a string or something on the floor, just pick it up. Make permanent places for your keys, bags, coats, etc. and use them.

If you become neat in your habits then actual regular cleaning shouldn't take more than an hour and half a week. Do it some night after work. Add one or two seasonal or infrequent chores a few times a month (things like cleaning ceiling fans, washing windows, etc.). Buy yourself excellent cleaning tools and forget about whatever your grandmother claimed about cleaning things with vinegar or oatmeal. ;)

Thanks for the tips Ginger...I do those things now actually, because I don't want the cleaning ladies to clean around clutter. But I need to get better at wiping down surfaces on a daily basis.

Linda, I find the cleaning services to be super expensive, and the one time I used them, I was not impressed. I'm going to try to do it myself and if it doesn't take up too much free time, I actually wouldn't mind saving the money for something else.

Banned
    I clean my own house. Cleaning up a few minutes each day is the secret rather than letting it pile up on you. My house is small. I have a problem with anyone coming in my house because of security reasons. My elderly parents had things stolen by either the cleaning lady, the sitter or the nurses. It was like Grand Central station every day when they were alive.

I just got back from a beach condo I rented from the owner a couple of weeks ago. Rather than pay $125 to clean it up, I cleaned it; took me less than 2 hours.

A clean house is like sausage, I like it but I don't care to see what goes into it!:eek:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    A clean house is like sausage, I like it but I don't care to see what goes into it!:eek:
    lmao
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

I do all the routine cleaning on Saturday mornings (vacuuming, dusting, laundry,and cleaning the bathroom fixtures). I mop the kitchen one week, and the bathroom on the other week, unless there is a reason to do it more often. I mop the basement thoroughly on a seasonal basis, and as needed the rest of the time. I give Katie (my dog) a bath usually on either Saturday or Sunday, every week in the summer, every 2 or 3 weeks in the winter. I change my cat's litter usually on Wednesday nights because garbage day is Thursday.

I use Pine Sol for mopping and Fantastick for the counters and fixtures. To me, the smell of Pine Sol means clean.

My big cleaning tasks usually get done a little at a time. I'm starting on the tiles/grout this weekend, so that it will be done by Christmas.