1. #1 Master's in English: Will Mow Lawns 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The person in the story is doing what he needs to...

Liberal_in_LA (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-02-10 04:33 PM
    Original message Master's in English: Will Mow Lawns

James Mulvey, who has a master's degree in English, abandoned his lifelong dream of getting a Ph.D. and becoming an English professor after taking a hard look at the job market. He now works as a landscaper and a technical writer in British Columbia.

Master's in English: Will Mow Lawns
    Most programs don't say where graduates get jobs, and future Ph.D.'s don't demand the data

By Robin Wilson

When a group of prospective graduate students visited the physics department at the University of Washington during a recruiting weekend last spring, they asked lots of questions about their lives as doctoral students. But none of them seemed very interested, the department's chairman says, in how recent Ph.D.'s fared after graduate school—on the job market.

"I don't think I ever encountered a question about that," says Blayne Heckel, the chairman. "These students want to know things like, Will they have an office in the building? They are more interested in things that will affect their day-to-day lives than in what kinds of jobs our graduates get."

http://chronicle.com/article/Job-Placement-The-Quality/...

Good for Mr. James.

AsahinaKimi (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-02-10 04:41 PM
    Response to Original message

3. I once knew this guy who Edited on Thu Dec-02-10 04:46 PM by AsahinaKimi
    Spoke Five languages. Had several doctorates. He is a Janitor, only because there was nothing available beyond pushing a broom. This is so sad.
    Asa...your buddy sounds like a professional "Student". Sounds like all he wanted was "titles" and didn't want to "do" anything. Janitor sounds about right, assuming this isn't just a Bouncy.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I hope he doesnt have to compete with Illegal Immigrants!

For some odd reason, this picture says it all.... :D

James Mulvey would have done well to read Ben Stein's book, The Little Book of Bulletproof Investing before he selected his major. especially the chapter where Stein discusses becoming educated in a field that will result in gainful employment.

I'm betting Mulvey owes a ton in college tuition loans. And has made fun of Sarah Palin, who never borrowed money for college, for taking 5 years to finish.:)

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    James Mulvey would have done well to read Ben Stein's book, The Little Book of Bulletproof Investing before he selected his major. especially the chapter where Stein discusses becoming educated in a field that will result in gainful employment.
    Do you need a book to tell you that? I'd put that one down as common sense.

Never mind, we're talking about liberals.

The funny thing is you can make a very good business out of landscaping. Of course he could also find a teaching job somewhere if he was willing to move. Boy it's amazing what these liberals believe.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.