Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 FCC Commissioner Wants to Test the 'Public Value' of Every Broadcast Station 
    FCC Commissioner Wants to Test the 'Public Value' of Every Broadcast Station

Friday, December 03, 2010
    By Susan Jones

FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps joined the FCC on May 31, 2001 and was sworn in for his second term in December 2005. (Photo from FCC Website)

(CNSNews.com) - American journalism is in "grave peril," FCC Commissioner Michael Copps says, and to bolster "traditional media," he said the Federal Communications Commission should conduct a "public value test" of every commercial broadcast station at relicensing time.

In a speech at the Columbia University School of Journalism in New York on Thursday, Copps also said station relicensing should happen every four years instead of the current eight.

"If a station passes the Public Value Test, it of course keeps the license it has earned to use the people’s airwaves," Copps said. "If not, it goes on probation for a year, renewable for an additional year if it demonstrates measurable progress. If the station fails again, give the license to someone who will use it to serve the public interest."

Ever since Barack Obama became president, prominent conservatives have warned about liberal efforts to squelch conservative and Christian talk-radio.

Although Copps has said the FCC will not reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, his prescription for "testing" commercial broadcast stations (see below) will alarm defenders of free speech and free enterprise.
    More at the link.

CNS

Sounds like Fairness Doctrine to me.

When a seller has a shitty product that doesn't sell, they simply repaint it, rebrand it and put it back on the shelf. It's still the same shitty product.

This IS the "Fairness Doctrine".............

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

How would this apply to Hip Hop and Spanish stations? How would it apply to anything, really? I listen to AM when I'm driving or doing yard work or something, I listen to XM for music. The radio is the last place I'd go for news or information in an emergency unless the entire Internet was destroyed. Even then, I'd go to TV news before radio or print.

These people need to stagger out of 1941.

"If a station passes the Public Value Test, it of course keeps the license it has earned to use the people’s airwaves,"
    Communist much?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    How would this apply to Hip Hop and Spanish stations? How would it apply to anything, really? I listen to AM when I'm driving or doing yard work or something, I listen to XM for music. The radio is the last place I'd go for news or information in an emergency unless the entire Internet was destroyed. Even then, I'd go to TV news before radio or print.

These people need to stagger out of 1941.

He can talk about this all he wants, but he won't be able to make it policy because it violates the first amendment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He can talk about this all he wants, but he won't be able to make it policy because it violates the first amendment.
    That will not stop this gestapo anti-American prick from trying.

Banned
    I'd say National Geographic, AMC and ESPN provide some public benefit. Other than that, this guy is gonna have to probate basically everything.

So, where do I sign up?

I forgot Cartoon Network--gotta do something when you take a night to yourself to get absolutely stoned to hell.
    Last edited by KhrushchevsShoe; 12-03-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Public value? OK.

That "value" is already measured by ratings. Given that standard, FOX news will stand alone on TV and Conservative talk radio will be the only talk radio left standing.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The Constitution hasn't stop this administration yet.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand