Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 'Small' portions can fool us into eating more 
    People are easily swayed by the size labels on our food, and will eat more if they believe they're consuming a "small" as opposed to a "large." And to make things worse, consumers aren't aware of their overindulgence.

This distorting effect, on both perception and eating behavior, is worse for people who aren't much concerned with their nutrition, and for those whose minds are distracted by other tasks, the study found.

The findings suggest size labels are contributing the to the country's obesity epidemic, the researchers said. Over the last several decades, food portion sizes have increased dramatically, along with people's waistlines. ... But what might be the effect of more ambiguous labels, for instance, Starbuck's "Venti" or Cold Stone Creamery's "Like It" sizes? While the researchers have not studied this question directly, they speculate the ambiguity may make things even worse.

"It's even more possible to indulge in this guiltless gluttony, because you can convince yourself of anything," Krishna told MyHealthNewsDaily. "If you take 'Venti,' you can convince yourself that it's really nothing big, because [the word] has no meaning for you."

To improve the situation, Krishna said it should be made clear what a normal serving size for an adult is. From there, "small," "medium" and "large" sizes should be standardized across stores and restaurant chains. ...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40300986...and_nutrition/

Perhaps this ninny could issue you all with a standard sized cup to keep and re-use at different restaurants. Then there'd be no danger of anyone having too much.

If people are ordering lattes at Starbucks every day, they obviously are not concerned about calories or fat.

People really don't have any idea about normal portion sizes but I can't see how forcing vendors to change their size terminology can help with that. What's next? Forcing restaurants to to use 10 inch plates?

To stick up for Cold Stone, yes they give their sizes little names, however, they also show you how big each size is. As for Starbucks, I could care less how big the cup is, I never heard of anyone getting fat from drinking coffee.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    To stick up for Cold Stone, yes they give their sizes little names, however, they also show you how big each size is. As for Starbucks, I could care less how big the cup is, I never heard of anyone getting fat from drinking coffee.
    People don't go to Starbucks to get a cup of black coffee. They go to Starbucks to get coffee-flavored drinks containing milk, cream, chocolate, flavored syrups, candy chips, whipped cream, and a bunch of other additives.

You want plain black coffee, you go to 7/11. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    People really don't have any idea about normal portion sizes but I can't see how forcing vendors to change their size terminology can help with that. What's next? Forcing restaurants to to use 10 inch plates?
    Why not? You could have ones printed with the words 'stop eating now, Porky' at a strategic point in order to encourage self control.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Why not? You could have ones printed with the words 'stop eating now, Porky' at a strategic point in order to encourage self control.
    LOL! How about some kind of restricted passage to the buffet with a sign saying, "You must be this thin to enter the buffet line"? :D

Banned
    LOL! How about some kind of restricted passage to the buffet with a sign saying, "You must be this thin to enter the buffet line"? :D
    Buffets disgust me. It is like watching hogs eating at the food trough. Plus, the food is not of excellent quality in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Buffets disgust me. It is like watching hogs eating at the food trough. Plus, the food is not of excellent quality in most cases.
    I like buffets even though I'm not "getting my money's worth". I like getting a spoonful or this and a little dab of that. :)

People don't go to Starbucks to get a cup of black coffee. They go to Starbucks to get coffee-flavored drinks containing milk, cream, chocolate, flavored syrups, candy chips, whipped cream, and a bunch of other additives.

You want plain black coffee, you go to 7/11. ;)
    Actually, I prefer Dunkin' Donuts over Starbucks or WaWa.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.