1. #1 Help! My boyfriend is thinking about voting for McCain. 
    quantessd (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-22-08 04:32 AM
    Original message
    Help! My boyfriend is thinking about voting for McCain.
    Advertisements [?]Edited on Fri Aug-22-08 04:42 AM by quantessd
    My boyfriend was enthusiastic about Obama before I was! "He's smart," my boyfriend pointed out several months ago, in January, as I recall. I know he did not vote in the Washington primary. He is anti-political by nature, but pretends to be interested. Unlike him, I used to be too busy to care about politics, until the US invaded Iraq in 2003. Then I started paying attention!

The conversation started when we were watching a TV program about a prominent figure having an affair. Then I brought up John Edwards' affair with another woman while his wife had cancer. We discussed that for a few minutes, and he talked about other celebrities cheating, before I informed him that McCain cheated on his wife.

"Well, while John Mc Cain was being held POW, his previously beautiful wife (and mother of his kids) had been in a bad car accident, was left debilitated, with a limp, a bad back, 10+ pounds heavier, and so, John McCain left her for Cindy. My boyfriend heard me, and said,

"Well..that makes me not want to vote for McCain, now that I've heard that."

"After my bewilderment, I thought, that's an unexpected response from him. I thought my boyfriend was an Obama voter.

"McCain is not just like Bush, you know", he said.
    "But, he is. Mc Cain has agreed with Bush's decisions overwhelmingly", I replied.
    "I would like to see some documentation supporting that.."

I finished our polite argument by adding, "McCain said that 5 million annual income defines a rich person...I suppose that means 3 million means middle class."

My boyfriend laughed and said, "what about Capital Gains Tax?"

I replied, you have a good income, but you aren't a rich person in John McCain's eyes. (he makes less than 70,000 per year).

So, how do I respond about the Capital Gains Tax?

ColbertWatcher (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-22-08 04:34 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. I think bf is kidding with you. n/t

quantessd (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-22-08 04:55 AM
    Response to Reply #1
    7. Sadly, no. I know him too well.
    For us-- for him, especially, politics are too taboo for discussion.
    For instance, he doesn't know whether his mom is pro-choice or anti-choice. My family is often controversial to the left, in conversations.
    Here's a persuasive argument:

themartyred (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-22-08 04:39 AM
    Response to Original message
    2. just the tax structure that mccain supports doesn't support your bf
    and he beats the war drum HEAVILY so what's to say your bf isn't sucked into a draft that mccain said might be needed? is he cool with the fact that the day people drowned to death in Katrina, B*sh and McCain, of all people with B*sh, were at a resort eating McCain "I'm older than dirt" birthday cake? McCain also votes against the troops well-being when they return, that's scandalous but is ignored. Olbermann did a video on McCain's votes against the troops a week or so ago, it was great.
    link

Yup, that should work.

Just tell the BF that if McCain gets elected, and you get pregnant he will have to support you and the baby because McCain will outlaw abortion. That'll get his attention!

Oh in the name of God, the whole "cheating on Cindy" thing is really starting to piss me off. After he got back from Vietnam, he was with her for another SEVEN YEARS!
    Hello, welcome to the United States of America.
    Please press 1 for English. If you can't please press 2 to disconnect until you learn how to speak English. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GenYConservative View Post
    Oh in the name of God, the whole "cheating on Cindy" thing is really starting to piss me off. After he got back from Vietnam, he was with her for another SEVEN YEARS!
    Personally, what really pisses me off lately is all the libtards like themartyred making derogatory comments about McCain's age, yet you know their heads would explode if they even thought they heard someone making a derogatory comment about Obama's race.
    Some forms of bigotry are considered abominations by DU, while other equally insulting forms of bigotry are considered a- ok by DU.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by GenYConservative View Post
    His first wife was named Cindy too?

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    Personally, what really pisses me off lately is all the libtards like themartyred making derogatory comments about McCain's age, yet you know their heads would explode if they even thought they heard someone making a derogatory comment about Obama's race.
    Some forms of bigotry are considered abominations by DU, while other equally insulting forms of bigotry are considered a- ok by DU.
    what pisses me off is most of these tards supported Bill Clinton
    Aint but three things in this world thats worth a solitary dime,
    But old dogs and children and watermelon wine.
    Tom T. Hall