Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Bleda
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Then why aren't they republicans? Voting for a good democrat is also a vote for the democrat party power structure and their leadership in the chamber to which that person is elected.
    It's a hypothetical scenario. If by some chance, the Democratic candidate was Ronald Reagan and the Republican candidate was Barack Obama, who would you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
    It's a hypothetical scenario. If by some chance, the Democratic candidate was Ronald Reagan and the Republican candidate was Barack Obama, who would you pick?
    Why don't you get more ridiculous and say one is a klingon and the other a cardasian if we are having a fantasy, cut back on the hallucinogenics!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Why don't you get more ridiculous and say one is a klingon and the other a cardasian if we are having a fantasy, cut back on the hallucinogenics!
    Reagan was a Democrat until 1962 and had voted for FDR and actively campaigned for Harry Truman. It's not like he was born a Republican. He was over 50 when he became a Democrat, so obviously for the first almost 30 years of his life he felt they were doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Reagan was a Democrat until 1962 and had voted for FDR and actively campaigned for Harry Truman. It's not like he was born a Republican. He was over 50 when he became a Democrat, so obviously for the first almost 30 years of his life he felt they were doing something right.
    Until he figured out how totally off base the democrat party was, what would he think today. This conversation has gone completely ridiculous .
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Banned
    Until he figured out how totally off base the democrat party was, what would he think today. This conversation has gone completely ridiculous .
    No, he said the Democratic Party left him...Which would seem to imply he felt somewhere around that time, they changed.
    I don't think he was a stupid man, so I'm pretty sure he was rather confidant in his voting even up till then.

Lyndon Johnson changed a lot with regard to the Democratic Party. There were plenty of people, I'd imagine, who were happy with the New Deal but felt the Great Society was going too far. Notice in the very next election after LBJ passed all his stuff, a lot of people voted Republcan (Nixon), and then McGovern came along, who was endorsed by LBJ, and Nixon won again in a landslide....In many ways the Great Society did go too far, too fast. Basically shoved a bunch of crap down people's throats within 2 years which radically altered the country.

QFT
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Bleda
    Hey, I'm just saying, vote for the individual, not the party.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    No, he said the Democratic Party left him...Which would seem to imply he felt somewhere around that time, they changed.
    I don't think he was a stupid man, so I'm pretty sure he was rather confidant in his voting even up till then.
    This was just a figure of speech.
    Son when a girl breaks up with you and says" oh it's not you, its me" trust me, its you, she is tired of your ass and she is gone.
    Reagan changed, he matured, when confronted with logic he was not rigid he reacted to it. Learn from him he was a wise man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
    I don't really view it as a vote for the Party; it's for the individual. I would gladly vote for a Democrat who is 90% 'good' over a Republican who is 10% good. It's just that, 99% of the time, the better candidate happens to be a Republican. In my case, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Then why aren't they republicans? Voting for a good democrat is also a vote for the democrat party power structure and their leadership in the chamber to which that person is elected.

A good example of why you should look at voting records, history, and the man is this.

Several years ago during the Senate race in S.C., Lindsey Graham was the Republican and Bob Conley was the Democrat.

Graham defeated a much more conservative Bobby Witherspoon in the primary for the nomination and then went on to defeat the Democrat .....who again held much more conservative stances than Graham.

The AmericanSpecator called Graham "The worst Republican Senator" and he's the biggest RINO in the Senate....yet there are people on this board that think that someohow returning the R over the D to Washington limits the left wing power structure?

Oh...Conley's challenger even admitted that they had just nominated a Republican during a Democratic primary.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    A good example of why you should look at voting records, history, and the man is this.

Several years ago during the Senate race in S.C., Lindsey Graham was the Republican and Bob Conley was the Democrat.

Graham defeated a much more conservative Bobby Witherspoon in the primary for the nomination and then went on to defeat the Democrat .....who again held much more conservative stances than Graham.

The AmericanSpecator called Graham "The worst Republican Senator" and he's the biggest RINO in the Senate....yet there are people on this board that think that someohow returning the R over the D to Washington limits the left wing power structure?

Oh...Conley's challenger even admitted that they had just nominated a Republican during a Democratic primary.
    Sometimes when you vote for a republican you get a democrat - but every time you vote for a democrat - you get a democrat.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.