Thread: House votes 402-1 to honor Chinese dissident. Guess who voted no

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I wouldn't call it a meaningless gesture. The support that the Soviet dissidents got made their plight much better. The Soviets knew that we were watching them and it limited the things that they could do to them. It also encouraged them to fight the system. Had we done this during the Iranian uprising last year, we could have significantly altered events there to our advantage. A congressional resolution that supports or condemns the actions of another nation encourages our allies and attacks our enemies. China will retaliate, I'm sure, but their dissidents will be heartened and they will act more boldly to defy their masters.

In fact, this kind of vote, which costs us nothing, but serves to put tyrants on notice, is exactly the kind of diplomacy that foreign despots respond to, because it embarasses them and exposes their misdeeds. Not only would Reagan have approved, but I think that the founders would have, as well, which is why Ron Paul's opposition is so maddening.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
    So, any Ronulans who want to defend Herr Doktor over this? I have little to no doubt in my mind what their arguments will be, but I'm anxious to start crushing them.
    What business does Congress have spending our tax dollars (and it costs f money to keep Congress "open") on stuff like this?

Bleda
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    What business does Congress have spending our tax dollars (and it costs f money to keep Congress "open") on stuff like this?
    Don't know, but Odysseus makes a good case for it above. I don't see how this excuses Paul's No vote, since he voted Yes on other, useless resolutions, such as ones congratulating football teams.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    "It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn."

George Washington, letter to the Legislature of Pennsylvania, September 5, 1789

"It will be worthy of a free, enlightened, and, at no distant period, a great Nation, to give to mankind the magnanimous and too novel example of a People always guided by an exalted justice and benevolence."

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
    Don't know, but Odysseus makes a good case for it above. I don't see how this excuses Paul's No vote, since he voted Yes on other, useless resolutions, such as ones congratulating football teams.
    Thanks. Ron Paul strikes me as someone who is more concerned with making a statement about an issue than he is with the issue. In this case, had he voted with the majority, he would have been one of 403, but by his dissent, he commands our attention. That is his agenda.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!