1. #1 Luke Scott: Obama was not born in America 
    Luke Scott: Obama was not born in America
    11:26 AM

Orioles designated hitter Luke Scott, who averaged 25 home runs in the past three seasons, sounds off on President Obama and guns at the Winter Meetings.

By Kim Klement, US Presswire

UPDATE, 3:45 p.m.: The Baltimore Orioles have taken their first step toward distancing themselves from Luke Scott's comments. Said Orioles director of communications Greg Bader:
    "Luke Scott's comments do not reflect the opinion of the Baltimore Orioles organization. The fact is that Barack Obama is our President, duly elected by the people of the United States. End of story."
    Orioles designated hitter Luke Scott, long an outspoken advocate for the Second Amendment, went much, much further than defending the right to bear arms in a wide-ranging interview with Yahoo Sports that included Scott saying he believes President Obama was not born in the USA.

Scott, who chatted with Yahoo when he stopped by baseball's winter meetings in Orlando for a meeting with his agent, says Obama "does not represent America. Nor does he represent anything what our forefathers stood for." When Yahoo's David Brown, as a follow-up, asked him, "You don't think that Obama wasn't born in the United States, do you?" Scott replied:
    He was not born here. ... That's my belief. I was born here. If someone accuses me of not being born here, I can go — within 10 minutes — to my filing cabinet and I can pick up my real birth certificate and I can go, "See? Look! Here it is. Here it is." The man has dodged everything. He dodges questions, he doesn't answer anything. And why? Because he's hiding something.

You know what? People who have bad intentions, people that are deceivers or are not of honor and integrity — that's how they act. I've seen it in every — it doesn't matter what level. It can be in politics, it can be in business, it can be in sports, it can be in the construction field. Doesn't matter. It's all the same attitude. It's the same thing.
    USA Today

Power CUer
    Well, that settles it. Who could be more of an expert than a baseball player?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    But how will it affect his fantasy draft status next year? :p
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Shut up and play ball!!!! Of course a little known fact is that most professional athletes are conservative by nature.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Shut up and play ball!!!! Of course a little known fact is that most professional athletes are conservative by nature.
    Little known? I would think it was a given, at their salary levels. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Little known? I would think it was a given, at their salary levels. :p
    However, quite a number of African-American athletes crossed over and supported President Obama in 2008. This was rather expected (it was a study I read in a sports mag, don't have a link), but I wonder how thrilled they are now.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I don't consider myself a birther, and I think it's more likely than not that Obama was born in Hawaii, but I just don't understand his motivation for the secrecy. Why doesn't he just release his long form birth certificate and transcripts and what-not and be done with the issue? I seriously just don't get his decision.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I don't consider myself a birther, and I think it's more likely than not that Obama was born in Hawaii, but I just don't understand his motivation for the secrecy. Why doesn't he just release his long form birth certificate and transcripts and what-not and be done with the issue? I seriously just don't get his decision.
    I don't know why he hasn't released he college transcripts either. I can understand if he doesnt have his original BC but with a call we could see his grades in college or is he hiding something?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    However, quite a number of African-American athletes crossed over and supported President Obama in 2008. This was rather expected (it was a study I read in a sports mag, don't have a link), but I wonder how thrilled they are now.
    They were black before they were ever conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    They were black before they were ever conservative.
    Well, obviously.

I was white before I was ever conservative. You were hispanic before you were ever conservative.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.