1. #1 Westboro church to picket at Edwards' funeral 
    Westboro church to picket at Edwards' funeral

Westboro Baptist Church, shown here in October demonstrating outside the U.S.Supreme Court, plans to picket Elizabeth Edwards funeral. The high court is considering whether Westboro, which pickets U.S. soldiers' funerals to claim that God is punishing Americans because of society's acceptance of homosexuality, is testing the limits of the First Amendment right to free speech.
    By Chip Somodevilla, Getty Images

By Chelsi Zash, WFMY-TV

RALEIGH, N.C. A Kansas church says it is planning to protest during Saturday's public memorial service for Elizabeth Edwards.

Edwards died Tuesday of breast cancer, diagnosed the day after the 2004 election when her husband John was a vice presidential candidate. Last week, doctors told Edwards continuing treatment was futile.

Edwards will be honored Saturday at Edenton Street United Methodist Church here. The public is allowed to attend the 1 p.m. service. The family is still working on burial plans.

Westboro Baptist Church, known for its protests at servicemembers' funerals, plans to protest for 90 minutes until the service begins. The protests typically speak out against homosexuality. Westboro's announcement of the picket also claims that God hates Edwards and that she is dead because she thought she could control God.

USA Today

Sick basta*ds.

There is a part of me that wishes that these freaks would do something criminal so at least then there would be reason to stop their antics.

These people are twisted.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I used to have an academic dislike and distaste for these asshats - but now it's personal. They showed up to picket the funeral of a young man I knew personally who gave his life in Afghanistan. He was given a hero's burial in Arlington and they were kept over a mile away from the church and from the service at arlington - but still driving past them I seriously wanted to stop the car and bash their faces in with a shovel. :mad:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.