Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Irony alert: The unusually chilly global-warming summit 
    Irony alert: The unusually chilly global-warming summit

Cancun is hosting the U.N. conference on man-made climate change — amid record cold temperatures
    posted on December 9, 2010, at 11:57 AM

The irony: As negotiators from nearly 200 countries met in Cancun to strategize ways to keep the planet from getting hotter, the temperature in the seaside Mexican city plunged to a 100-year record low of 54° F. Climate-change skeptics are gleefully calling Cancun's weather the latest example of the "Gore Effect" — a plunge in temperature they say occurs wherever former Vice President Al Gore, now a Nobel Prize-winning environmental activist, makes a speech about the climate. Although Gore is not scheduled to speak in Cancun, "it could be that the Gore Effect has announced his secret arrival," jokes former NASA scientist Roy W. Spencer.

The reaction: ClimateGate was "bad enough," says Duncan Davidson in Wall Street Pit, but Cancun's weather is particularly "inconvenient" for global-warming alarmists. It's a reminder that global temperatures have "flatlined" despite rising carbon dioxide levels, "which is decidedly chilling against the concept of hampering economic growth to limit Co2 emissions." Grow up, says Tony Juniper in The Independent. "Sure, it's cold outside," but "the trend data show that the world is warming, that the climate is changing, and that the release of greenhouse gases is the cause." The longer we use every cold snap as an excuse to put off reducing emissions, "the bigger the risk we run. Tick tock, tick tock."
    LOL! A friend and I were just speculating yesterday that it would be riot if the Cancun conference experienced a cold snap. :D

The Week

Reminds me of when Gore spoke in NYC about global warming - during a record cold snap and blizzard :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Bleda
    http://brneurosci.org/gore.html

Abstract
    Recent research has shown that the mere presence of Al Gore is able to reduce ambient temperatures by approximately 27.6°C. This phenomenon is termed the "Al Gore Effect." Various theories about the physical mechanism of this phenomenon, its dangers, and its potential usefulness in fighting global warming are discussed.

The Al Gore Effect
    A few years ago, in November 2006, Al Gore went to Australia and New Zealand to preach to the wallabies, and their human companions, about global warming. The Australian state of Victoria (largest city: Melbourne), which has an average temperature of 71.2°F in November (November being late spring/early summer there), got snow. The state of Queensland reported the first snow on that date since 1941.

Almost three years earlier, in January 2004, Al Gore had spoken in New York City, and produced the coldest temperatures in almost fifty years. Likewise in Boston of the same year. Ever the modest gentleman, Al Gore attributed the effects not to the phenomenal energy- and life-force-sucking power of his presence, but to global warming (which is, in retrospect, not surprising, since Al Gore attributes everything to global warming).

Then, in late 2007, Al Gore did it again, while in Bali attending the Global Warming conference. Luckily, it's virtually impossible for snow to fall in Bali. But back in America, right on cue, twelve inches of snow fell on Chicago; there were record ice storms in the Midwest, and up to 18 inches of snow in the Northeast. Maine tied a 117-year record for snow. Al Gore's powers appear to be increasing exponentially. Clearly, he no longer needs to be physically present; he can produce record cold temperatures anywhere on the globe just by speaking about global warming. Since Al Gore won the Kentucky Derby in 2007, his climate-altering properties have increased even more.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
    Good find. That's a good website, brneurosci.org.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Bleda
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Good find. That's a good website, brneurosci.org.
    Yeah, I came across it while looking for an article that explains the Gore Effect. It's like a scientific version of The People's Cube. :)

...and you can't make this up...

http://www.cfact.tv/2010/12/08/un-cl...y-and-ban-h2o/

The petition "...was euphemistically entitled “Petition to Ban the Use of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)”...".

"almost every delegate that collegian students approached signed their petition to ban that all too dangerous substance, which contributes to the greenhouse effect, is the major substance in acid rain, and is fatal if inhaled.".

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! A friend and I were just speculating yesterday that it would be riot if the Cancun conference experienced a cold snap. :D

The Week
    I don't see the irony. Oh wait. I almost forgot that conservatives believe global warming means warm weather all the time.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't see the irony. Oh wait. I almost forgot that conservatives believe global warming means warm weather all the time.

Oh come on TNO, this is LOL funny. Seems every time you Global Warming kooks get together the temps drop like a brick heading toward Will Pitts head. :p
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh come on TNO, this is LOL funny. Seems every time you Global Warming kooks get together the temps drop like a brick heading toward Will Pitts head. :p
    It's what happens when a zealot has their religion mocked and ridiculed SR. TNO is a zealot for the religion of Global Warming and finds noting funny about it when people point out the idiocy of the whole thing.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Sonnabend
    Tell ya what, Owl, here's a small challenge for you.

Take any event anywhere in the world. Your choice, your event, pick any one anywhere, any time. Last thirty years will do...which gives you plenty of time and room to pick.

Now then: All I want you to do is this: prove conclusively and comprehensively that the given event was the direct and incontrovertible result of global warming, and nothing else.

One event in the last thirty years.Tell ya what, I'll be generous. Make that forty years. One event between 1970 and 2010.

Just one, you get to pick time, and place, and event.Over to you.