Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1 Navy Sets World Record With Incredible, Sci-Fi Weapon 
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    GET SOME!

    A theoretical dream for decades, the railgun is unlike any other weapon used in warfare. And it's quite real too, as the U.S. Navy has proven in a record-setting test today in Dahlgren, VA.

    Rather than relying on a explosion to fire a projectile, the technology uses an electomagnetic current to accelerate a non-explosive bullet at several times the speed of sound. The conductive projectile zips along a set of electrically charged parallel rails and out of the barrel at speeds up to Mach 7.

    The result: a weapon that can hit a target 100 miles or more away within minutes.

    "It's an over-used term, but it really changes several games," Rear Admiral Nevin P. Carr, Jr., the chief of Naval Research, told FoxNews.com prior to the test.

    For a generation raised on shoot-'em-up video games, the word "railgun" invokes sci-fi images of an impossibly destructive weapon annihilating monsters and aliens. But the railgun is nonetheless very real.

    An electromagnetic railgun offers a velocity previously unattainable in a conventional weapon, speeds that are incredibly powerful on their own. In fact, since the projectile doesn't have any explosives itself, it relies upon that kinetic energy to do damage. And at 11 a.m. today, the Navy produced a 33-megajoule firing -- more than three times the previous record set by the Navy in 2008.
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...electromagnet/

    That just gives me all sorts of good shivers. :D
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    GET SOME!



    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...electromagnet/

    That just gives me all sorts of good shivers. :D
    Cool. :) I like how the small rounds are getting smarter and the large rounds are getting dumber and bother are getting better :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,158
    Why bother putting it on a warship? really nothing worth hitting out there that you cant take of with a missle for much less the cost, now if you can shrink that down to fit a tank or better yet a hand held weapon then you'll be cooking with gas :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Why bother putting it on a warship? really nothing worth hitting out there that you cant take of with a missle for much less the cost, now if you can shrink that down to fit a tank or better yet a hand held weapon then you'll be cooking with gas :D
    Thats just it... it won't cost more. Missile are expensive as hell. This is firing a lump of metal using electricity.

    Furthermore, with using these weapons, they'll have to stock less explosives on the ships. Makes the ships must less likely to explode, and it's crew men much safer.

    Not to mention, a missile is slower to reach it's target. They don't travel at Mach 10.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Why bother putting it on a warship? really nothing worth hitting out there that you cant take of with a missle for much less the cost, now if you can shrink that down to fit a tank or better yet a hand held weapon then you'll be cooking with gas :D
    To further what djones had to say: 100 miles away, in blue water ocean, is *way* over the horizon. That means, with the assistance of air or satellite based observation and signal, a naval vessel can target another vessel over the horizon, while never showing up on the target vessel's radar, because radar doesn't penetrate water too well. The problem with using a missile to strike from this position of stealth at great distance is that the missile has a radar profile, a heat signature, and a relatively large size. That means that as soon as the missile breaks the target's horizon, the target vessel could employ a countermeasure such as our Navy's PHALANX system, or anti-missile missile system similar to a sea based PATRIOT. However, a fast moving small chunk of steel is not going to be detected in time to employ countermeasures, and countermeasures aren't going to be effective against it because of it's small size and inert properties.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,350
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    To further what djones had to say: 100 miles away, in blue water ocean, is *way* over the horizon. That means, with the assistance of air or satellite based observation and signal, a naval vessel can target another vessel over the horizon, while never showing up on the target vessel's radar, because radar doesn't penetrate water too well. The problem with using a missile to strike from this position of stealth at great distance is that the missile has a radar profile, a heat signature, and a relatively large size. That means that as soon as the missile breaks the target's horizon, the target vessel could employ a countermeasure such as our Navy's PHALANX system, or anti-missile missile system similar to a sea based PATRIOT. However, a fast moving small chunk of steel is not going to be detected in time to employ countermeasures, and countermeasures aren't going to be effective against it because of it's small size and inert properties.
    And how else do you expect them to stop a Decepticon from wrecking a pyramid??

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qizxSFckc
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,286
    What an eeeeeeeeeeeeevil weapons system!!! I love it! :D
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,917
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    What an eeeeeeeeeeeeevil weapons system!!! I love it! :D
    :D Metal storm! Badass!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEu9L...B77977914F066E

    : “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Thats just it... it won't cost more. Missile are expensive as hell. This is firing a lump of metal using electricity.

    Furthermore, with using these weapons, they'll have to stock less explosives on the ships. Makes the ships must less likely to explode, and it's crew men much safer.

    Not to mention, a missile is slower to reach it's target. They don't travel at Mach 10.
    These things are ballistic and unguided.They are affected by air density,pressure and temperature .When something is accelerated to mach 10 At the surface of the Earth (sea level), on an average day, the speed of sound is about 770 mph, so your shell would go 7700 mph .

    At that speed some metals will melt due to air friction and the air piled up in front of the projectile would tend to push it off course.The larges navel rifle has a maximum range of about twenty miles so the forces pushing it off course are limited to time of flight.

    The 16in guns of the Colorado class battleships when firing 2100-lb shells at 2600f/s at the maximum elevation of 30deg would achieve a "maximum ordinate" (highpoint of flight) of just over 19,000 feet! That means the ordinate is roughly 18% of the gun range. If we move things out to a theoretical 45deg elevation (which would have been possible for the North Carolina class battleships, but they never used this ammunition), the maximum ordinate is 35,699 feet while the range is 39,600 yards,(About twenty miles ) so the ordinate is now 30% of the range.

    A projectile traveling at supersonic speeds for over one hundred miles at 45 degrees would just about enter space before it found it's target.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    These things are ballistic and unguided.They are affected by air density,pressure and temperature .When something is accelerated to mach 10 At the surface of the Earth (sea level), on an average day, the speed of sound is about 770 mph, so your shell would go 7700 mph .

    At that speed some metals will melt due to air friction and the air piled up in front of the projectile would tend to push it off course.The larges navel rifle has a maximum range of about twenty miles so the forces pushing it off course are limited to time of flight.

    The 16in guns of the Colorado class battleships when firing 2100-lb shells at 2600f/s at the maximum elevation of 30deg would achieve a "maximum ordinate" (highpoint of flight) of just over 19,000 feet! That means the ordinate is roughly 18% of the gun range. If we move things out to a theoretical 45deg elevation (which would have been possible for the North Carolina class battleships, but they never used this ammunition), the maximum ordinate is 35,699 feet while the range is 39,600 yards,(About twenty miles ) so the ordinate is now 30% of the range.

    A projectile traveling at supersonic speeds for over one hundred miles at 45 degrees would just about enter space before it found it's target.
    Woa!, Magimoo! Know some shit! I'm impressed. I've always been sort of a BB junkie, but I just like to stare. I've been aboard the Iowa, NJ, and Wisconsin while they were in mothballs in Philly, and the MO when I was in Bremerton. Oh, yeah, Alabama, too.
    NJ fired right over the top of us in Vietnam. We were impressed. Just sort of patted our little 40mm on its little head hoping to make it feel better.
    Salute!;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •