Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New research suggests viruses could be the cause of the obesity epidemic 
    * By Brian Williams
    * December 13, 2010 7:42AM

THE obesity epidemic seen in humans and their pets may be caused by more than rubbish diets and lack of exercise.

Some scientists think it may be due to a combination of issues, including viruses or something else that affects cells or organs.

This is opposed to the commonly held belief based on poor Western lifestyles that feature over-eating, little exercise and fatty foods.

Scientists' curiosity was triggered when they noticed laboratory rats and mice on strict diets had put on weight just as domestic pets and feral animals living around humans had.

They looked at more than 20,000 animals from 24 populations of eight species living in or around industrialised societies.

Scientists from nine research centres across the world found that in all cases, body weight was increasing.

CONTINUED
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

No. I can say with a 100% degree of certainty that my love of pizza and fast food made me fat not some stupid virus.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

We'd have to read the study but even the pop culture "summary" is loaded with weasel-talk. It would be pretty difficult to evaluate these findings without having a very detailed knowledge of diet composition and portion sizes among the study populations.

Oddly enough, that kind of information is not as easy to come by as people might think. Lab animals that are not being used in studies that specifically evaluate food or metabolism are fed "chow" designed for each species. There are a lot of chow-makers and every formulation is slightly different. The animals are fed by low-wage caretakers who are supposed to feed a measured amount but in practice the portions are much more haphazard. (I've worked in labs that use animal subjects.)

Banned
    Here's something I wonder:

Why can someone people eat like pigs and yet remain slim Jims, yet some eat less and become fat? I'm a pretty big eater, and of unhealthy food, yet I retain a relatively lean build for my height; I also have no jowls or double chin. Same thing with a nephew of mine--The kid is maybe 5'6'', and he eats LIKE A PIG, yet he's just over 100 pounds. He doesn't exercise or anything yet he's as skinny as Mick Jagger.

My step-grandpa too. Tall guy, over 6 feet in height, a craggy faced Irishman with a balding head of blondish and white hair; He loved steaks, he loved all sorts of fatty foods, all Irish foods and in large amounts, yet even to his death at age 81 he was a bean pole. No gut whatsoever.

Another attempt to get eating put under Zerocare?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post

Why can someone people eat like pigs and yet remain slim Jims, yet some eat less and become fat? I'm a pretty big eater, and of unhealthy food, yet I retain a relatively lean build for my height; I also have no jowls or double chin. Same thing with a nephew of mine--The kid is maybe 5'6'', and he eats LIKE A PIG, yet he's just over 100 pounds. He doesn't exercise or anything yet he's as skinny as Mick Jagger.

My step-grandpa too. Tall guy, over 6 feet in height, a craggy faced Irishman with a balding head of blondish and white hair; He loved steaks, he loved all sorts of fatty foods, all Irish foods and in large amounts, yet even to his death at age 81 he was a bean pole. No gut whatsoever.
    Metabolism. I'm the same way, wiry build...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

The continuous packing of food into your muzzle will cause you to gain weight, couple that with having your wide ass firmly planted in a soft chair and weight gain is guaranteed!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post

Some of that is simply age. You and your nephew are young and you are coming into the age of peak muscle mass. A lot of middle-age weight gain is caused by eating the same amount of food while losing lean muscle muscle mass due aging.

Old people, by contrast, often thin down after 70. They have also lost muscle mass (usually, not inevitably) but they tend to be erratic eaters. Often they will eat just one large meal a day if no one is around to pester them.

Some of it is general build. Taller, larger framed people have more muscle (and slightly higher metabolisms) than shorter, smaller framed people. Fat people, oddly enough, often have a higher base metabolism than their thinner counterparts because of the larger muscle mass needed to haul excessive weight around.

When really fat people diet, they lose more weight more quickly partly because their muscle mass is larger to begin with.

One of my best friends in college was a walking skeleton.
    Try as she might, she just could not gain weight. Her
    doctor had her on special very high calorie diets all the
    time, but she just had one of those metabolisms that
    worked overtime. Nothing ever stuck to her ribs. I would
    rather be stuck with a few extra pounds than to be that thin.

Some skinny people will stay that way regardless of how much they eat.

Some fat people will stay that way regardless of how little they eat.

Everyone else, like 98% of us, reflect our diets and exercise habits. The really heavy are almost always the ones that just can't turn down that extra helping, extra desert, etc.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.