Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Who is your favorite Founder? 
    Banned
    For me, I would have to say overwhelmingly Ben Franklin. Sure, he wasn't a President or anything, but he was a genius. He was inventive, with an inquisitive, questioning mind; He was very forward thinking, supporting outlawing slavery long before it became a truly national issue; An inventor and trailblazer; A thinker. I admire him greatly.

I'd have to put Washington second, as both a great military leader and a great President who shouldered a lot of responsibility and had the incredible pressure of being the FIRST President--The man who would set the tone most others would try to follow. It's hard to top the first guy at anything. Also, I admire his humility, the fact that he wasn't powerhungry; He didn't seek his position for power's sake, in fact, he would've been happier retiring to Mount Vernon but came into the arena for the sake of the country--A quality I think is lacking in many a politician today. Washington was a true servant of the public. Let's be frank, had Washington wanted, he could've become an American Octavian: A king in all but name who fooled the public with the illusion of a Republic. I'm sure many of the public, who were grateful to him, would've actually accepted that even then. I also love the fact that he was anti-parties--I actually kind of feel the same way. I think our parties divide us and put us into factions, and I'd love if a candidate could simply run on his/her beliefs, record and policies without cowtowing to a party line or being indebted to any party. I think parties have turned politics from a serious, important facet of our society into--for many, not for all--into a bloodsport, with people on the various sides cheering their teams.

After Washington for me comes Jefferson, who beyond being a great statesmen was, like Franklin, a great mind.

John Adams. He respected his wife as an equal and never owned slaves.

Thomas Paine and Ben Franklin.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Franklin, then Jefferson. Fine minds, good diplomats, and popular with the girls.

Benjamin Franklin, Advice to a Young Man on the Choice of a Mistress (1745).
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He'd be my pick as well.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

One is never enough when it comes to men of greatness so I'll give my top three: George Washington - Patrick Henry - John Witherspoon.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    For me, I would have to say overwhelmingly Ben Franklin. Sure, he wasn't a President or anything, but he was a genius. He was inventive, with an inquisitive, questioning mind; He was very forward thinking, supporting outlawing slavery long before it became a truly national issue; An inventor and trailblazer; A thinker. I admire him greatly.

I'd have to put Washington second, as both a great military leader and a great President who shouldered a lot of responsibility and had the incredible pressure of being the FIRST President--The man who would set the tone most others would try to follow. It's hard to top the first guy at anything. Also, I admire his humility, the fact that he wasn't powerhungry; He didn't seek his position for power's sake, in fact, he would've been happier retiring to Mount Vernon but came into the arena for the sake of the country--A quality I think is lacking in many a politician today. Washington was a true servant of the public. Let's be frank, had Washington wanted, he could've become an American Octavian: A king in all but name who fooled the public with the illusion of a Republic. I'm sure many of the public, who were grateful to him, would've actually accepted that even then. I also love the fact that he was anti-parties--I actually kind of feel the same way. I think our parties divide us and put us into factions, and I'd love if a candidate could simply run on his/her beliefs, record and policies without cowtowing to a party line or being indebted to any party. I think parties have turned politics from a serious, important facet of our society into--for many, not for all--into a bloodsport, with people on the various sides cheering their teams.

After Washington for me comes Jefferson, who beyond being a great statesmen was, like Franklin, a great mind.
    I agree.Washington,Jefferson then Franklin.Adams was second rate compared to Jefferson !

Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Thirded.

I can't really say I have a favorite, but I do hold Adams and Jefferson in very high regard among that renown circle of individuals.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Banned
    I know he was old by the time the Constitution was written and ratified, but I do wonder how Franklin would have done as President and if he could've been elected.