Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Duncan Hines put out a controversial cupcake ad. 
    Racist cupcakes? Duncan Hines 'hip-hop' video ad under fire

BY Nina Mandell
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, December 10th 2010, 5:50 PM
    Duncan Hines put out a controversial cupcake ad.

Talk about bad taste.

Cupcakes aren't tasting so sweet for some Duncan Hines marketing execs who were forced to pull a video for their "Amazing Glazes" frosting line after viewers and bloggers complained the dancing cupcakes were racist.

The commercial, which features chocolate-frosted cupcakes singing a harmony, was released on YouTube with the title "Hip Hop". Along with that title, the cupcakes featured exaggerated lips and eyes and more hummed a melody – that was decidedly un-hip hop.

"If you're going to call them hip-hop cupcakes, then shouldn't at least one of them at least do a verse?" a blogger wrote on the Racialicious blog wrote.

In a press release, the company said it wanted to inspire creativity in its new commercial.

"I wanted to create an entertaining and engaging way to show bakers that this glaze makes everything you top taste better and more exciting," the commercial's director Josh Binder said in a statement released by the company when the controversial ads were launched.

The commercials were removed by the company but not before generating more than 19,000 views on YouTube, the Toronto Sun reported.

Bloggers were outraged that it took until after the commercial was launched for Duncan Hines staffers to realize there might be an issue with it.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...#ixzz180hY6cUn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0BeSz5LRCY

Uh.....is this even Hip Hop? Now maybe Hip Hop has changed radically over the past 3 or 4 years but this just sounds like some kind tribal/ambient/techno concoction to me.

Um, they're "singing" cup cakes. They don't look like anything but "singing" cupcakes. For the love of all that is Holy, why does everything that even remotely involve any dark color(brown or black) automatically is a shot at blacks? This is almost as ridiculous the ado over that innocuous card from last year. There's thin skinned and there's thin skinned. Oh, how come I don't see blacks get all upset at KFC commercials featuring a completely black cast? Isn't that stereotyping?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

The hip-hop name not withstanding... what about that was racist?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Um, they're "singing" cup cakes. They don't look like anything but "singing" cupcakes. For the love of all that is Holy, why does everything that even remotely involve any dark color(brown or black) automatically is a shot at blacks? This is almost as ridiculous the ado over that innocuous card from last year. There's thin skinned and there's thin skinned. Oh, how come I don't see blacks get all upset at KFC commercials featuring a completely black cast? Isn't that stereotyping?
    Funny you bring that up.

At the KFC back home in Traverse City, there's a big picture on the wall of a bunch of white kids in a tree house with a bucket of chicken. A black kid is down on the ground with this big ass smile on his face obviously wanting to get up there to the chicken.

Now, thats a hell of a lot more racist then this damn thing ever could be.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    The hip-hop name not withstanding... what about that was racist?
    Nothing, however, using anything that is black or brown is automatically a shot at blacks. When nonsense like this comes up, it's small wonder why racism will never die in this country. If these were vanilla or strawberry cupcakes, there wouldn't be any outrage.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Funny you bring that up.

At the KFC back home in Traverse City, there's a big picture on the wall of a bunch of white kids in a tree house with a bucket of chicken. A black kid is down on the ground with this big ass smile on his face obviously wanting to get up there to the chicken.

Now, thats a hell of a lot more racist then this damn thing ever could be.
    Traverse City? I don't believe I saw a single Black face in Traverse City when I was there. Why don't we just have Dennys bring back Sambos?:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Traverse City? I don't believe I saw a single Black face in Traverse City when I was there. Why don't we just have Dennys bring back Sambos?:eek:
    There is an extremely small black population in that area. Lot of mexicans though. Cherry picking brings in a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Nothing, however, using anything that is black or brown is automatically a shot at blacks. When nonsense like this comes up, it's small wonder why racism will never die in this country. If these were vanilla or strawberry cupcakes, there wouldn't be any outrage.
    There are some issues that our society has never effectively dealt with, and the foundation of racist exploitation for the majority of our nation's history is hard to just erase. Just the way that repression can effectively push conflicts and unacceptable experiences out of the conscious awareness, it also leads to explosions of pent up energy later because the issue was never properly dealt with, like people getting mad at these cupcakes.

I don't care about this ad, but it shouldn't be hard to see how the hate-filled images of the Minstrel Show have been seared into the collective consciousness, and there is nothing of comparable significance for whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

It is racist!

It is a needle to white cupcakes everywhere....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    blah blah blah.
    fixxored

The only ones keeping blacks down are other blacks...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot