Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Assange Being Granted Bail 
    On FoxNews right now, a British judge is granting him bail. Assange will be underground within 15 minutes of his release. I could care less that his bail comes with restrictions(forfeit of passport, etc.), this guy is going to be funneled to a safe house in Serbia somewhere. There is no story link yet. I'll post one when one is available.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

PLEASE skip bail! PLEASE OH PLEASE skip bail!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Here is the link from Fox: http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2...ring-underway/

Assange Bail Hearing Underway

UPDATE: Julian Assange has been granted bail. The British judge who announced this stressed that Assange must abide by strict bail conditions as he fights extradition to Sweden in a sex-crimes investigation.
    The lawyer for Sweden says she is likely to appeal Assange bail.
    The first headline to emerge from Julian Assange’s bail hearing at Westminster Magistrates Court was that the judge would allow journalists to tweet from inside the courtroom. As long as they were quiet.
    The running commentary began—packed court, Bianca Jagger in the house, Assange with smart gray cropped hair, in the same suit he wore at his last hearing.
    This is a hearing related to a sex abuse case, but the new media element was everywhere. Assange’s supporters, sympathetic “hacktivists” wreaked havoc in the past week, temporarily disabling websites of PayPal, Visa and Mastercard, after those companies put the squeeze on Wikileaks’ funding.
    Many of them were outside the courthouse. There was a heavy police presence. And an enormous media presence.
    The Wikileaks founder has assembled a formidable legal team, including Geoffrey Roberston, a celebrity freedom of speech lawyer who worked with Salman Rushdie. His Swedish lawyer thinks they can put down the sex allegations. And that they were motivated by jealousy and disappointment.
    Assange’s legal team wants their client free as the extradition issue plays itself out. They are arguing he is not a flight risk, as his face has been plastered across the covers of newspapers and magazines around the world. And he could wear an electronic magnet, they offer. Bail was denied Assange in the last hearing because Assange had nothing but a post office box address in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    PLEASE skip bail! PLEASE OH PLEASE skip bail!
    While I like the idea of hunting him down like a dog as much as the next guy, I'm really more interested in having the US indict him for espionage. Maybe Eric Holder can take some time out of his busy schedule of harassing Arizona and calling us cowards on racial issues to, I dunno, do his f***ing job?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

he's on eletronic monitoring so it's not likely he will skip out. He turned himself in remember.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    While I like the idea of hunting him down like a dog as much as the next guy, I'm really more interested in having the US indict him for espionage. Maybe Eric Holder can take some time out of his busy schedule of harassing Arizona and calling us cowards on racial issues to, I dunno, do his f***ing job?
    I agree - but the simple fact of the matter is - innocent people do not skip bail :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

No link yet but Reuters report via Twitter says he's staying in prison pending the appeal by the Swedish prosecutors.

Quite surprised at this... I'd heard that there were irregularities with his record of entry to the UK, as in, there is none. That should in itself be cause to keep him under lock and key until that aspect has been cleared up. If he got in under the radar, one has to assume that he has ways of getting out.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I agree - but the simple fact of the matter is - innocent people do not skip bail :)
    I can see a circumstance where an innocent person might skip bail, but not in this case. Remember that Iran released that hiker on bail. If she goes back for trial, she's even stupider than I thought that she is.
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Quite surprised at this... I'd heard that there were irregularities with his record of entry to the UK, as in, there is none. That should in itself be cause to keep him under lock and key until that aspect has been cleared up. If he got in under the radar, one has to assume that he has ways of getting out.
    Agreed, but this is the opinion of one judge, and one never knows where they are coming from. Could be a Wikileaks supporter...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Did you hear who's posting his bail?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/9204...-wikileaks.htm