1. #1 DU in a nutshell: Please humor me. Imagine we had the attention of the wealthiest 2%. 
    link

OneGrassRoot Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:41 AM
    Original message
    Please humor me. Imagine we had the attention of the wealthiest 2%...

We have their attention and, somehow, got them to realize they need to help others in a much more direct, significant way, and they agreed to do so. They agreed to part with their wealth and redistribute to help others.

How you would advise them to use those funds for the most benefit...for the benefit of The Common Good?

Please be as specific as possible, advising how the average person can most benefit from the resources they are currently hoarding in many instances, and how to best redistribute those resources given our current systems -- philanthropic, governmental -- including offering a way outside of the current systems to redistribute this wealth (which is my personal preference).

Perhaps you can also suspend reality and imagine tax implications aren't part of this scenario; that people are helping because it's the right thing to do, not because they get a write-off. Maybe that will lead to more outside-the-box ideas of how we would advise them to help our society.

In addition to providing those in need who can't work with a much better social safety net, can this wealth be harnessed to create new industries and jobs? If so, how specifically do you envision that happening -- what would be the industries and jobs?

Thanks. :hi:
    Life HAS TO BE FAIR.
    valerief Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:48 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. Read much fantasy? nt
    hobbit709 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:54 AM
    3. they won't pay attention until their asses are on the line.
    Warpy Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:56 AM
    4. I'd tell them to be prepared to pay their taxes for the common good

because the alternative is being barricaded in their estates and paying even more to support armies of police to protect them from the angry commons.
    OneGrassRoot Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:59 AM
    5. No imagination, eh?

Edited on Tue Dec-14-10 12:00 PM by OneGrassRoot
    We all know every member of DU is the ultimate skeptic, but I also rarely see anyone contributing ideas or getting on board to do something concrete. About anything.

Yeah, this is pie in the sky, but a good percentage of the anger and frustration here is directed toward the 2% -- including my own.

I started to wonder, what IF they'd do the right thing -- exactly how would I want them do it?

I didn't have a clear answer. I just wanted to twitch my nose and have everything be fair.

Most of us here can bitch and moan with the best of them, with valid reasons for bitching and moaning.

I rarely see anyone advocating a way to get out of this victim role we see ourselves in...even if it's only imagining how it could happen. Imagining and brainstorming can be a start toward more concrete things, even if it's not in direct response to the original question.

:shrug:
    DU iin a nutshell. 1) It's not fairness of opportunity if you decide to take it, and then acceptance that nothing is going to be entirely fair. NO, it's fairness of outcome, so the wealthy have to hand over what they have earned to others. 3) Gripe and complain, mock others, pot down those you don't agree with, blame others, and claim victimhood, but don't offer ideas or debate.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DUmmy
    We have their attention and, somehow, got them to realize they need to help others in a much more direct, significant way, and they agreed to do so. They agreed to part with their wealth and redistribute to help others.
    They already do. The "rich" give far more to charitable causes than you have any idea. But it is never enough for you libs.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    They already do. The "rich" give far more to charitable causes than you have any idea. But it is never enough for you libs.

They seem to forget that Bill Gates, one of the richest men in the world, is slowly giving all his money away to charity. Of course, he's "new money", and a liberal, at that. Oprah is another rich liberal who gives a lot of her money away.

I think they believe the rich are a bunch of Thurston Howells, hoarding their money in suitcases rather than sharing it with others. I don't know many truly wealthy people, to be honest. When I was a kid, my dad was in Rotary with one of the owners (at the time) of Steelecase. He and his wife were the most generous people. Not that their politics really matter, but I need to be fair since the other two examples I gave were liberals, and this older couple were definitely conservatives. Dutch Reformed conservatives, which means they were both generous to others and cheap about themselves. :)

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They seem to forget that Bill Gates, one of the richest men in the world, is slowly giving all his money away to charity. Of course, he's "new money", and a liberal, at that. Oprah is another rich liberal who gives a lot of her money away.

I think they believe the rich are a bunch of Thurston Howells, hoarding their money in suitcases rather than sharing it with others. I don't know many truly wealthy people, to be honest. When I was a kid, my dad was in Rotary with one of the owners (at the time) of Steelecase. He and his wife were the most generous people. Not that their politics really matter, but I need to be fair since the other two examples I gave were liberals, and this older couple were definitely conservatives. Dutch Reformed conservatives, which means they were both generous to others and cheap about themselves. :)

I know a very large number of wealthy people and to a man, they are unbelievably generous - and many of them are not just generous with their money, but with their time as well.

Some of them, I bet, give more away in a year than the entire INCOME of the members of DU combined.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.