Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Rapists. Murderers. Pedophiles and Child Molesters. People who engage in Bestiality.

Gays are just people who have sex with the same sex. I've never gotten why people think they're deviants.
    It's about gender. Gender structures our identities more than almost any other concept, and homosexuals upset the wonderfully simple conceptions of gender that many people have (gays cannot be manly, a gay man is letting himself be treated like a woman, a lesbian is giving up her duty of finding a male phallus, homosexuality being associated with submissiveness, weakness, or other things that are "anti-masculine", ect, ect, ect.), which leads them to put up defense mechanisms (homophobia) in order to identify these people as threats to their subconscious model of reality.

For many people, openly accepting a homosexual means having to rethink what it means to be a man or woman, which cannot be done without rethinking yourself. You know that it isn't a good feeling to be confused or to face identity changes, most people subconsciously resist this like the plague. So, to avoid the unpleasantness of having to re-evaluate oneself, they simply see homosexuals as a "thing to be avoided", it's their brain trying to maintain internal consistency via subconscious defense mechanisms
    Last edited by Wei Wu Wei; 12-20-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    It's about gender. Gender structures our identities more than almost any other concept, and homosexuals upset the wonderfully simple conceptions of gender that many people have (gays cannot be manly, a gay man is letting himself be treated like a woman, a lesbian is giving up her duty of finding a male phallus, homosexuality being associated with submissiveness, weakness, or other things that are "anti-masculine", ect, ect, ect.), which leads them to put up defense mechanisms (homophobia) in order to identify these people as threats to their subconscious model of reality.

For many people, openly accepting a homosexual means having to rethink what it means to be a man or woman, which cannot be done without rethinking yourself. You know that it isn't a good feeling to be confused or to face identity changes, most people subconsciously resist this like the plague. So, to avoid the unpleasantness of having to re-evaluate oneself, they simply see homosexuals as a "thing to be avoided", it's their brain trying to maintain internal consistency via subconscious defense mechanisms
    You really read to much into such things....

nah
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Gays are just people who have sex with the same sex. I've never gotten why people think they're deviants.
    Because it is a "deviation" from normal behavior. Now, that in itself does not mean that it can't be accepted. But I laugh at the rather desperate attempts in this post to paint the problem with the perceivers. Especially Wee's silly psycho babble assertions about identity politics and gender perception etc.

Here's a simpler distillation of the process: Those who aren't gay, naturally find different levels of discomfort with the idea of individuals who are only attracted to members of the same sex. For a straight man, for example, the thought of sex with another man is so alien, that it causes some measure of revulsion. The next part of the process though, finds the perceiver's intellect reasoning that if two people both consent to it, do not force it on another, and do no other harm to anyone else, than it's of no threat to the perceiver. Thus, some measure of acceptance can overcome initial reactions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    If gays are not morally deviant, who is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Because it is a "deviation" from normal behavior. Now, that in itself does not mean that it can't be accepted. But I laugh at the rather desperate attempts in this post to paint the problem with the perceivers. Especially Wee's silly psycho babble assertions about identity politics and gender perception etc.

Here's a simpler distillation of the process: Those who aren't gay, naturally find different levels of discomfort with the idea of individuals who are only attracted to members of the same sex. For a straight man, for example, the thought of sex with another man is so alien, that it causes some measure of revulsion. The next part of the process though, finds the perceiver's intellect reasoning that if two people both consent to it, do not force it on another, and do no other harm to anyone else, than it's of no threat to the perceiver. Thus, some measure of acceptance can overcome initial reactions.
    I dunno, I consider myself a straight guy, but I don't find homosexuality disgusting or revolting...Just something I'm not into or aroused by. But then again, like, there's girls I don't have find attractive, that I wouldn't want to sleep with, but I don't find them disgusting or gross. It's just, like, whatever, do your thing. That's the thing--When I think of gays I think of personality first. My mind doesn't immediately flash to two men having anal sex whenever the word "gay guy" comes up or if I meet a gay, so I just view him as a person and not a sexual act.

Two women, however, is a bit different. I am a staunch supporter of lipstick lesbianism and/or female bisexuality. I would champion those two causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post

I thought my analysis was pretty simple actually, and frankly, it's unrealistic to assume that humans beings are Rational Actors Who Follow Logical Consistency.

I mean come on....

I dunno, I consider myself a straight guy, but I don't find homosexuality disgusting or revolting...Just something I'm not into or aroused by. But then again, like, there's girls I don't have find attractive, that I wouldn't want to sleep with, but I don't find them disgusting or gross. It's just, like, whatever, do your thing. That's the thing--When I think of gays I think of personality first. My mind doesn't immediately flash to two men having anal sex whenever the word "gay guy" comes up or if I meet a gay, so I just view him as a person and not a sexual act.
    I agree with this sentiment. It's like wrinkly old ladies. I don't find an 80 year old woman to be sexually attractive, but I'm sure some people do, and if you do, good for you. More power to you, enjoy that wrinkly sex hell maybe she'll let you take a few tokes from her oxygen tank.

Just because I don't find that attractive doesn't mean any time I see an old woman I picture her sex life, I don't get filled with anxiety or anger or sexy images when I see elderly couples holding hands or even kissing. I don't have any reason to get upset just because I'm not into that.

Now, I'm not gonna go watch some old folks have sex, but if they want to it doesn't affect me the least.

I submit that people only get emotionally invested in things (that includes getting angry or disgusted) that somehow relate to themselves. Some people say that homophobic people are secretly gay, I don't believe that's the case either. However, I do think homophobic people are dealing with their own issues when they are getting angry about gays.

My post above explains how this is the case.

Two women, however, is a bit different. I am a staunch supporter of lipstick lesbianism and/or female bisexuality. I would champion those two causes.
    Well, you should no doubt be proud at how remarkably and unnaturally tolerant you are. Not many people have their minds "immediately" flash to thoughts of anal sex when thinking about gays. We are talking about thinking about homosexuality in general and not specific homosexual individuals. You know, it may surprise you that most conservatives have run across and interacted with gay people in normal, polite fashion, without trembing in our boots or running away disgust.

It's just like, whatever, do your thing.
    Ah, what a remarkable synthesis of today's prevailing wisdom.

I agree with this sentiment. It's like wrinkly old ladies. I don't find an 80 year old woman to be sexually attractive, but I'm sure some people do, and if you do, good for you. More power to you, enjoy that wrinkly sex hell maybe she'll let you take a few tokes from her oxygen tank.

Just because I don't find that attractive doesn't mean any time I see an old woman I picture her sex life, I don't get filled with anxiety or anger or sexy images when I see elderly couples holding hands or even kissing. I don't have any reason to get upset just because I'm not into that.

Now, I'm not gonna go watch some old folks have sex, but if they want to it doesn't affect me the least.

I submit that people only get emotionally invested in things (that includes getting angry or disgusted) that somehow relate to themselves. Some people say that homophobic people are secretly gay, I don't believe that's the case either. However, I do think homophobic people are dealing with their own issues when they are getting angry about gays.

My post above explains how this is the case.
    My, it's so cute the hoops you jump through to show all of us poor neanderthals how tolerant one can be. And the strained but similar way that both you and CITM used visual images of things generally considered unattractive to illustrate how your sensibilities are so unaffected and refined. Why I bet if you were both walking together and saw a dog riding a bike and smoking a cigarette, none of you would even turn your heads, nor your conversation skip a beat. :)

However, I do think homophobic people are dealing with their own issues when they are getting angry about gays.
    Why do libertards always make this illogical leap? Being "homophobic" does not mean they are "angry" about anything. Furthermore, let me clear up another favorite lie of the GLBT crowd: Not agreeing with or supporting homosexuality does not automatically make one Anti-homosexual. I don't care what you do in your bedroom. I only want to know why you have to let everybody know your proclivities. Shut your homosexual pie holes and there wouldn't be any problems. I don't run around telling everybody what my favorite orifice is.
    Last edited by AmPat; 12-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand