Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    That is what it means.

I understand what the root words mean, and it's supposed to be like that. The anger, hatred, or general antipathy towards things often uses -phobic suffix because even a small amount of introspection shows that fear is the root of anger, hatred, and most negative emotions. This very basic insight is carried over into our use of the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Well, you should no doubt be proud at how remarkably and unnaturally tolerant you are. Not many people have their minds "immediately" flash to thoughts of anal sex when thinking about gays. We are talking about thinking about homosexuality in general and not specific homosexual individuals. You know, it may surprise you that most conservatives have run across and interacted with gay people in normal, polite fashion, without trembing in our boots or running away disgust.

Ah, what a remarkable synthesis of today's prevailing wisdom.
    But if it isn't the acts themselves which disgust or cause revulsion in you, what is about homosexuality that's so revolting? Honestly? I mean I could understand someone being grossed out by the acts they do in the bedroom...But just the fact that a man could love another man, or a woman could love and date another woman, idk, to me it just doesn't repel me. It's their thing. They're not harming me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    That is what it means.

I understand what the root words mean, and it's supposed to be like that. The anger, hatred, or general antipathy towards things often uses -phobic suffix because even a small amount of introspection shows that fear is the root of anger, hatred, and most negative emotions. This very basic insight is carried over into our use of the word.
    I disagree. I don't give a hoot what homos do, as long as they don't throw it in my face, attempt to force it on the public as if it is natural and not deviant, or force it into the military as a social experiment. I know of a large homophobic Texan, and he is entirely capable of ripping the head off of homosexuals if he desired. He does not go hunting for them, does not fear them, and does not seek confrontation with them. He minds his business, a policy gays would be wise to adopt.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I disagree. I don't give a hoot what homos do, as long as they don't throw it in my face, attempt to force it on the public as if it is natural and not deviant, or force it into the military as a social experiment. I know of a large homophobic Texan, and he is entirely capable of ripping the head off of homosexuals if he desired. He does not go hunting for them, does not fear them, and does not seek confrontation with them. He minds his business, a policy gays would be wise to adopt.
    In other words, they just need to expend every effort to make *you* feel comfortable, regardless of how it makes them feel. Anything else they can do for you while they're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    In other words, they just need to expend every effort to make *you* feel comfortable, regardless of how it makes them feel. Anything else they can do for you while they're at it?
    No dumbass, they need to mind their own business and stop making it everybody elses business. Then, I don't "feel" anything toward them as I wouldn't know in the first place that they enjoyed the taste of poop covered phallus. Any more stupid comments?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    That is what it means.

Homophobia is a made up word, used to try and silence opposition- end of story.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I don't run around telling everybody what my favorite orifice is.
    It's the left ear, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    But if it isn't the acts themselves which disgust or cause revulsion in you, what is about homosexuality that's so revolting? Honestly? I mean I could understand someone being grossed out by the acts they do in the bedroom...But just the fact that a man could love another man, or a woman could love and date another woman, idk, to me it just doesn't repel me. It's their thing. They're not harming me.
    It's not revolting that a man could love another man or a woman a woman. I have love for many men who have been in my life. My argument is that homosexuality is a deviation from a norm. And as such, it is naturally going to cause some type of reaction in many of those who are not homosexuals. To act as if that fact somehow proves intolerance, or fear or latent homosexuality is disingenuous at the least. Perhaps in the not too distant future -- and if the very vocal and active homosexual lobby gets its wish -- it will be so open and prevelant that it will inspire no negative connotations at all. I don't think homosexuals should be demonized, nor do I think people should be demonized who have reservations or questions about the possible harmfulness of homosexual lifestyles.

I'd rather be honest about my feelings on issues than act a poser, trying to prove how open and tolerant I am.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Great point! So you'd agree then, that they don't have to do anything to make me feel comfortable and I don't have to do anything to make them feel comfortable?