Thread: New ACOG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 New ACOG 
    gator
    I decided to treat myself to a new ACOG in order to celebrate the holidays.

It is a TA-44 SR mini ACOG. It is 1.5 X. It only weighs 4.9 ounces. The eye relief is great and the reticle is bright.

I put it on an AR with a lightweight barrel and the whole rifle doesn't weigh much more than a M-1 Carbine.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I decided to treat myself to a new ACOG in order to celebrate the holidays.

It is a TA-44 SR mini ACOG. It is 1.5 X. It only weighs 4.9 ounces. The eye relief is great and the reticle is bright.

I put it on an AR with a lightweight barrel and the whole rifle doesn't weigh much more than a M-1 Carbine.

How much ?

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    How much ?
    These run about $850 but I found a place where they sell them for $740 with no shipping.

It is really a nice little light weight scope.

I put it on my zombie gun. You never know.

These run about $850 but I found a place where they sell them for $740 with no shipping.

It is really a nice little light weight scope.

I put it on my zombie gun. You never know.
    Why is this gun, more than your other guns, suited for killing zombies? :eek:

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Why is this gun, more than your other guns, suited for killing zombies? :eek:
    You ask an excellent question.

It really depends on the genre of zombies. If they are the fast moving aggressive zombies of the Dawn of the Dead type then you need a lightweight rifle where you can quickly fire at one target and move on to the next. You need to be light weight so you can carry the maximum amount of ammo.

However, if they are the slow moving Walking Dead types then probably any rifle would do.

I have to prepare for the worse, know what I mean?

An Adversary of Linda #'s

It really depends on the genre of zombies. If they are the fast moving aggressive zombies of the Dawn of the Dead type then you need a lightweight rifle where you can quickly fire at one target and move on to the next. You need to be light weight so you can carry the maximum amount of ammo.

However, if they are the slow moving Walking Dead types then probably any rifle would do.

Should we be expecting more zombies from Pittsburgh ?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Das Gator Wrote:

That's good, you old guys need lightweight toys...:p:D:D

You paid how much??? I hope the guys at the Manatee Gun Club don't read this.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Yeah, preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse is not as straightforward as it seems. Hmm, personally I would consider a couple of factors:

1. Low probability weapon jamming in "all weather" conditions
    2. Light weight/bulk of ammo
    3. Availability of ammo, which starts becoming an issue a couple months in

Stopping power is another interesting factor. It seems tempting to pick a weapon chambered for a 5.7x28mm like a PS90 because the only way to "stop" a zombie is to put one in the brain (and their heads are pretty soft from necrosis) and you can carry a lot more 5.7x28 than 5.56x45s.

Hmm, but then it occurs to me you could have an AR five seven and have already thought of this!

Yeah, preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse is not as straightforward as it seems. Hmm, personally I would consider a couple of factors:

3. Availability of ammo, which starts becoming an issue a couple months

Stopping power is another interesting factor. It seems tempting to pick a weapon chambered for a 5.7x28mm like a PS90 because the only way to "stop" a zombie is to put one in the brain (and their heads are pretty soft from necrosis) and you can carry a lot more 5.7x28 than 5.56x45s.

Hmm, but then it occurs to me you could have an AR five seven and have already thought of this!
    I got my Zombie tags just yesterday. I can only harvest 7 females, There is no liimit on the males during the season provided they way a minimum of 150lbs, after they are field dressed. Georgia big game laws are antiquated regarding zombies. It used to be thay you could harvest any of the male species, now you got to declare them and shit. Really sucks.

I use a Browning chambered in 7mm which gives me a pretty big kill zone. I know what you're thinking, it's bolt action, but face it, it's not like there out there hauling ass. Shit, I don't even use a blind anymore.
    I'm thinking of taking my 30-30 off the wall for some of them.

gator

3. Availability of ammo, which starts becoming an issue a couple months in

I have three kill zones. For distance I have my M-14s and the FAL with the M-1 Garand as a backup.

Intermediate I have my AR-15s, AK, SKS and M-1 carbines.

For close up I have my shotgun and the 9mm and .45.

After that it is my baseball bat, Vietnam era trenching tool and cardio