Thread: New ACOG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stopping power is another interesting factor. It seems tempting to pick a weapon chambered for a 5.7x28mm like a PS90 because the only way to "stop" a zombie is to put one in the brain (and their heads are pretty soft from necrosis) and you can carry a lot more 5.7x28 than 5.56x45s.
    That is great so long as you have a huge supply, 10K rounds or more, because 5.7 is not a common round. Some other calibers would be easier to get more of.
    30-30
    30-06
    .223 and/or (5.56)
    7.62x39
    9mm
    40cal
    to name just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by hoplophobe View Post
    That is great so long as you have a huge supply, 10K rounds or more, because 5.7 is not a common round. Some other calibers would be easier to get more of.
    30-30
    30-06
    .223 and/or (5.56)
    7.62x39
    9mm
    40cal
    to name just a few.
    .22 will only take out a zombie at very close range and lacks both penetration and stopping power. Any of the other calibers will do nicely for head shots, but will vary in suitability based on shooting conditions and zombie types. Full auto is not recommended, since multiple body shots are less effective than well-aimed single head shots, even in a crowd or swarm, but a good riot shotgun also works well at close range.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    .22 will only take out a zombie at very close range and lacks both penetration and stopping power. Any of the other calibers will do nicely for head shots, but will vary in suitability based on shooting conditions and zombie types. Full auto is not recommended, since multiple body shots are less effective than well-aimed single head shots, even in a crowd or swarm, but a good riot shotgun also works well at close range.
    I just had a stroke of genius. If the US wants to increase recruitment to the armed forces, they should offer a Zombie School with a badge and everything.

"I'm with the Six Hundred and Sixty Six... the Zombie Killers"

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    I just had a stroke of genius. If the US wants to increase recruitment to the armed forces, they should offer a Zombie School with a badge and everything.

"I'm with the Six Hundred and Sixty Six... the Zombie Killers"
    I would totally be considering the Blue to Green program if that was the case.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I was thinking about getting one of those nice, expensive ACOGs with the 4x 5.56 sight, and a top mounted 4 MOA reflex sight for up close work. Then I found out the ACOG would cost almost as much as the rilfe I plan on mounting it on. So my friend and I came up with this solution, kind of a poor man's ACOG/reflex combo.

Burris AR-332 Prism Sight - 3x-32mm Tube Tactical Red Dot Sight

See the MIL-STD-1913 rail? That's where this goes:

Burris FastFire Red-Dot Reflex Sight ( 4 MOA Dot Reticle)

For the zombie apocalypse, www.onlybatteries.com offers rechargeable CR 2032 batteries which power both of these optics, as well as the chargers to go with them.

I'm not even going to pretend that this gear is of as high a quality as the ACOG, but I've heard good things about these optics. Just make sure you get the waterproof FastFire, not the cheap one, and you've got an magnified sight with a top mounted reflex sight for $528 shipped.

This is going on my main zombie rifle, a Robinson Arms XCR-L Standard. This is a good zombie apocalypse rifle because it's reliable, extremely sturdy, and chambers 5.56 (.223 Rem), 7.62x39, 6.8 Remington SPC, with a 6.5 mm Grendel conversion kit coming soon. All that is needed to chamber different ammunition is a kit which consists of a bolt face, a barrel, and magazines fitted for that chamber. The kit takes about 2 minutes to install if the rifle isn't hot.

For the fast/rage type zombies, I'd probably prefer to use my PS90-TR/EO Tech combination, but there are some drawbacks. 5.7x28mm Ammo is fairly scarce, and there's no real fast way to pull of a combat or tactical reload while maintaining fire control. I can combat reload an AR style rifle, like the XCR in the blink of an eye, and can tactically reload it without my hands leaving the grip and without looking down at the rifle. The PS90 just isn't that simple with the way the log magazines are ejected and oriented.

Now I'd just like some sort of detachable box magazine system for my Mossberg shotgun, and I'd be happy. During the zombie apocalypse a man's gotta eat, and squirrel might be as good as any food you'll find. I stockpile .22 LR ammo for use in a Henry Survival Rifle (AR-7), but I'm thinking about getting a scoped 10/22 as well.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

.22 will only take out a zombie at very close range and lacks both penetration and stopping power
    I think the availability and portability of the caliber and the lower noise profile when shooting make it a solid choice. Granted if the "zeds" are the running kind (28 days later, Zombie World) it is not as good a choice as a larger caliber would be but if the "zeds" are the slow moving ones (Diary of the Dead) a .22 should work well for close up shots.

Merry Christmas Gator. Nice present to yourself.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I was thinking about getting one of those nice, expensive ACOGs with the 4x 5.56 sight, and a top mounted 4 MOA reflex sight for up close work. Then I found out the ACOG would cost almost as much as the rilfe I plan on mounting it on. So my friend and I came up with this solution, kind of a poor man's ACOG/reflex combo.

Burris AR-332 Prism Sight - 3x-32mm Tube Tactical Red Dot Sight

I bought one of these Burris AR 332 a couple of months ago. I put it on an extra parts AR.

They are nice little scopes. They are not an ACOG but they do fine.

Good field of view. Nice reticle. Fairly lightweight. Fit and finish OK.

I don't think I would take one to war but messing around at the range is fine. It will probably work OK in the coming zombie apocalypse.

If you are on a budget go for it.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Merry Christmas Gator. Nice present to yourself.
    My real present this year is my son coming home from the Army. He is on his way home from Ft Bliss right now.

I put together this AR for him. It is just like his service M-4. I had his regimental crest engraved on it.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I have three kill zones. For distance I have my M-14s and the FAL with the M-1 Garand as a backup.

Intermediate I have my AR-15s, AK, SKS and M-1 carbines.

For close up I have my shotgun and the 9mm and .45.

After that it is my baseball bat, Vietnam era trenching tool and cardio
    And a new pair on Nike's !