1. #1 Opinions of Robert Reich? 
    Banned
    I don't really know all that much about him but I was watching a lecture of his and he seems very intelligent. Opinions on him?

Intellgence doesn't translate into wisdom. To parrot a famous quote. He knows so much that isn't so.

His thinking is what has led to our problems. Pure Keynsian baloney.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Intellgence doesn't translate into wisdom. To parrot a famous quote. He knows so much that isn't so.

His thinking is what has led to our problems. Pure Keynsian baloney.
    Exactly. He's very intelligent, but he's incredibly WRONG.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Banned
    The problem is that in practice, the other half of Keynesian economics hasn't been used. The spending half has been used, but ALL THE TIME.

The theory is such that during times of plenty you create surpluses and spend fiscally tight, and then during times of recession you use the savings you've made. We've done the second part, but never paid attention to the former.

Power CUer
    He's very intelligent, but I agree he comes down on the wrong side of economics. He also has a good sense of humor. Once, during the Clinton administration, I was at the Boston airport, and a bunch of us were stuck on a shuttle bus out on the tarmac. It wasn't moving, and didn't even have a driver for quite awhile. I don't even remember why we were on a shuttle bus; that was not usual at Logan.

Reich was sitting right next to me, and we smiled at each other in that exasperated-business-commuter sort of way. I said, "If you'd been Secretary of Transportation we wouldn't be sitting here, but NO, YOU had to be Secretary of Labor." He stared at me for a moment (good hang time) and just started to laugh. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken