You Won't Believe What Sparked This OR Fire
Woman who claims the gas she passed set her genitals on fire loses case against her surgeon.
A woman who claims that she set fire to her genitals when she broke wind during hemorrhoidectomy lost the malpractice lawsuit that she filed against her Boston-area surgeon.
The incident happened in June 2005. The woman said that she suffered burns to her anal, vaginal and perineal areas, resulting in an infection, according to court documents.
The case began routinely enough. Her skin was prepped for surgery with an alcohol-based antibacterial solution.
The surgeon inserted a saline-soaked surgical sponge into her anal canal, placed a stitch with a chromic suture that was packed in alcohol and then used an electrosurgery pen to start dissecting her hemorrhoids.
During the electrosurgery, the woman contends that she "passed flatus and a fire ignited near her perineum," according to court documents.