Thread: Audi’s diesel race car too fast for its own good

1. #1 Audi’s diesel race car too fast for its own good 
    The Audi R10 TDI — the world’s first Le Mans diesel race car — has been doing so well that new regulations have been put in place to curb its success. The American Le Mans Series has decided to allow the competing gas-powered LM P1 Lolas to drop 143 pounds of weight to make for a tighter race. The Lolas will also be granted a five-litre larger fuel tank. Audi says its engineers have calculated with computer simulation that 22 pounds at the upcoming Road America is worth at least two-tenths-of-a-second per lap. Audi said it is “deeply disappointed about the random decisions of the IMSA organization.” Nonetheless, Audi is hopefully it can continue its winning streak this weekend with the Road America race.

Quotes before the race at Road America

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): “To us, the recent regulation changes made by IMSA appear to have been made at random and are unjustified. A year ago hardly anybody could believe that it would be possible to win a race with a diesel powered sportscar. We demonstrated that it is feasible, and thanks to ‘Vorsprung durch Technik’ we produced the world’s most state-of-the-art LM P1. We can not accept that our life will now be made artificially difficult. Audi, the manufacturer, which has supported and promoted the ALMS for years and helped to make it what it is today, will only continue its American Le Mans Series programme if there are again stable and consistent rules, like at Le Mans, which also contribute towards justifying manufacturer’s involvement and expenditure.”
    Read the rest, they are being penalized for their achievement.>http://www.leftlanenews.com/audis-di...-own-good.html
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Real men use gasoline.

Sorry about that, but that is how the world works.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Real men use gasoline.

:DI thought you used Petrol?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    :DI thought you used Petrol?
    Petrol=gasoline.

The higher the octane, the better. I paid £1.28/litre for hi-test today. :(
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Petrol=gasoline.

The higher the octane, the better. I paid £1.28/litre for hi-test today. :(
    2.69 per good honest American gallon here, that's to dam much!

Real men use gasoline.

Why? If better performance can be achieved using better tech, why not use it and make everybody else catch up?

I'm a big fan of harness racing but I don't think cars ought to be handicapped in order to compete with trotters.