Thread: I have a question about net neutrality..

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92
  1. #1 I have a question about net neutrality.. 
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,031
    I am in an argument with a family member about NN he thinks its the feds just wanting to enforce anti_trust regulations but I think its more of a way for the feds to get a toe in the door to control the internet. Does anyone have a source of info that bests discribes this situation?
    Last edited by Bailey; 12-23-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    yeah, look into the new law either passed or almost passed by Congress this year. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804

    They have already taken down several torrent sites and forced others to move to domains outside the US. wont take long for them to adjust to get rid of any kind of website they want.

    Also remember that the Congress that just left was one of the Oldest in US history and many of them don't know the ass end of a mouse from a laptop. Fucking morons
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,031
    Cool thanks :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    np
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I am in an argument with a family member about NN he thinks its the feds just wanting to enforce anti_trust regulations but I think its more of a way for the feds to get a toe in the door to control the internet. Does anyone have a source of info that bests discribes this situation?
    I believe you are right. Left or right, there is nothing more informative than the internet. Control information and you control the masses.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Net neutrality was an issue raised by a myriad of private businesses who have had a growing (and valid) concern regarding the major providers of bandwidth and their moves towards becoming internet content providers. Its never been about government control.

    Imagine if the highway system was privately owned. Think of all the gas stations and fast food chains off the exits. Well, now imagine the owners of the highway system want to get into the fast food and gas station business. So they build new exits that funnel traffic to their new gas station and fast food restaurants. Then they start to close down exits to those other businesses, or charge them exorbitant fees (in addition to the fees they already pay) in order to continue the same level of service they had before. Don't pay the extortion fees? Shut the exit down, and all the customers are funneled to their own stores.

    That is roughly analogous to what content providers on the internet fear. That is what net neutrality is meant to address. It would ideally prevent those highway owners from unfairly diverting traffic, or charging unfair "extortion" fees.

    Net neutrality doesn't really give the government any sort of control over the net.
    Last edited by wilbur; 12-23-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    yeah, look into the new law either passed or almost passed by Congress this year. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804

    They have already taken down several torrent sites and forced others to move to domains outside the US. wont take long for them to adjust to get rid of any kind of website they want.

    Also remember that the Congress that just left was one of the Oldest in US history and many of them don't know the ass end of a mouse from a laptop. Fucking morons

    That's not a net neutrality bill... that's copyright legislation... I'm sure lobbied for (and perhaps even written by) those wonderful organizations, the RIAA and MPAA. They're all about draconian net censorship, at any cost to us or our freedoms, in order to stop you from downloading movies and mp3's for free. We have much more to fear here, than we do from net neutrality.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,152
    If Wilbur agrees with it and a democrat administration wants it, it's bad for America.
    Nuff said.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If Wilbur agrees with it and a democrat administration wants it, it's bad for America.
    Nuff said.
    Quite frankly, it surprises me that conservative politicians don't really support net neutrality.. seeing as how they tend to think free markets are a good thing. They certainly pay lip service to that principle... but I suppose that's what it really is... lip service.

    If you like free markets, you should like net neutrality.
    Last edited by wilbur; 12-23-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,152
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Quite frankly, it surprises me that conservative politicians don't really support net neutrality.. seeing as how they tend to think free markets are a good thing.

    If you like free markets, you should like net neutrality.
    You build the rail road and then pay for the tracks, another man with an engine and cars demands to use your tracks for free. That's what it's about, free my ass!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •