Thread: Nation’s Intelligence Chief Unaware of Significant U.K. Terror Plot

1. #1 Nation’s Intelligence Chief Unaware of Significant U.K. Terror Plot 
    Nation’s Intelligence Chief Unaware of Significant U.K. Terror Plot; Focused on Other Things, White House Says

Wednesday, December 22, 2010
    By Susan Jones

(CNSNews.com) - President Obama’s counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan, speaking to reporters in the White House briefing room on Wednesday, defended James Clapper, the nation’s intelligence chief, for not knowing about the arrests of 12 suspected terrorists in London on Monday.

Clapper, in an interview with ABC’s Diane Sawyer hours after the arrests took place, was unable to answer her question about the situation, which the Associated Press described as the largest counterterrorism raid in nearly two years.

The arrests of the 12 men, ranging in age from 17 to 28, drew major media coverage on Monday, hours before Sawyer interviewed Clapper and Brennan.

“First of all, London," Sawyer said to Clapper in Monday’s interview. "How serious is it? Any implication that it was coming here?"

When Clapper didn’t have anything to say, Brennan jumped in: “You mean the arrests of the 12 individuals by the British early this morning,” Brennan responded to Sawyer. “This is something that the British told us about early this morning when it was taking place.”

Sawyer later told Clapper she was surprised he didn’t know about the events in London.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't," Clapper responded.

At first, Clapper’s office said Sawyer’s question about the British raid was “ambiguous,” ABC News reported. But on Wednesday, White House counter-terrorism adviser Brennan told reporters that Clapper’s staff had not briefed him on the events in London.

Clapper, Brennan explained, was “engaged in a variety of classified matters.”

“Should he have been briefed by his staff on those arrests? Yes,” Brennan said. “And I know there was breathless attention by the media about these arrests, and it was constantly on the news networks. I’m glad that Jim Clapper is not sitting in front of the TV 24 hours a day and monitoring what’s coming out of the media. What he is doing is focusing on those intelligence issues that the president expects him to focus on, and to make sure that we don’t have conflict in different parts of the world. He continues to focus on those.

“And his not being briefed yesterday afternoon – this is something that they’ve acknowledged that he should have been briefed on, and they’ve taken steps to correct that now, and if it happens again, I’m sure he’s going to be au courant as far as the takedown overseas.”
    Well, I feel safer now.

CNS

This is understandable.

In my workcenter at home we've got 10 plasma tv's on the wall all tuned into various news channels so that we can be aware of current events around the world. We work in a strategic operations center, so it's pretty necessary. This is stuff we keep on in the background while doing our primary duties.

Our commander, a Major General, doesn't have any TV's in his office. He has a million other tasks that he has to attend to. He receives his updates on the stuff that he needs to be aware in daily briefings that are prepared by the people under him.

This was a failure of his staff. Ultimately responsibility lies with him, but only because he is the leader, and that is were the buck is supposed to stop.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

This must be the day off that Janet NUTpolitano was referencing.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand