Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 15 Things Not to Say to Your Boss 
    15 Things Not to Say to Your Boss
    By Megan Malugani, Monster Contributing Writer

“Think before you speak” is always a good policy, and in the workplace the maxim could be further refined to “think before you blurt out something to your boss that could hurt your career.” We checked in with some bosses, and came up with this list of 15 phrases bosses definitely don’t want to hear:

1. “I’m only doing this job for the money.”

No boss wants to hear that your sole motivation for showing up is your paycheck. She may know that money is your motivation, and you may know she knows, but it’s still better left unsaid.

2. “I’m broke/in debt/one step away from bankruptcy.”

Your financial woes are not your boss’s concern. Period.

3. “I’m going to quit after I (fill in the blank).”

No matter how noble your future plans are -- you may be saving to start your own company or go to grad school, for example -- it’s usually best to keep those plans to yourself or to refer to them only vaguely. If your boss knows there is a definite end date to your employment, she may start to shop around for your replacement before you are ready to leave.

4. “I partied a little too hard last night.”

Buck up and get through the day with some ibuprofen, extra undereye concealer and coffee. But don’t share the sordid details of your night on the town with your boss. He’s just as likely to react with (unspoken) disdain as sympathy.

5. “It’s not my fault.”

Are you a whiny 8-year-old or a take-charge professional? Assume responsibility and take steps to fix a problem that you did, in fact, create. And if you are being wrongly blamed for a problem, saying “let’s get to the bottom of this” or “what can we do to make it right?” is much more effective than saying “it’s not my fault.”

6. “I’m bored/this job is boring.”

Didn’t your mother ever tell you that only boring people get bored? If you’re constantly twiddling your thumbs, ask for extra work and be as specific as you can. And if you’re busy but think your assigned tasks are less-than-stimulating, start strategizing about how you can get the job you want, either within your company or elsewhere.

7. “My job is too easy.”

Sure, you may think a monkey could do your job. But don’t give your boss any ideas -- your company could probably pay a monkey less than it pays you.

8. “I can’t work with so and so. I hate him.”

Involving your boss in personality conflicts should always be your last resort. So unless you are being threatened, scapegoated, encouraged to participate in unethical behavior, or your colleague or customer is engaged in other egregious workplace conduct, try to work it out between yourselves first.

9. “I can’t do that because of my other job.”

In your boss’s mind, a second job is not a valid excuse for why you can’t stay late, work extra hours or finish a project on time. She may question your priorities, and rightly so.
    More at the link.

Monster

Man, if this is news to anyone no wonder there is so much unemployment

And I have this posted in my office. :D

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

8. “I can’t work with so and so. I hate him.”

Involving your boss in personality conflicts should always be your last resort. So unless you are being threatened, scapegoated, encouraged to participate in unethical behavior, or your colleague or customer is engaged in other egregious workplace conduct, try to work it out between yourselves first.
    I've got one of these working for me. Periodically she tells me she just can not work
    with 'so and so' and if they call again she's not returning their calls and emails. I remind
    her that she will return their calls and emails if she wants to continue working there. A
    few weeks ago, she gave me an ultimatum and said that she was not working any longer
    on this one project if she had to keep working with this other person. She flat out said "it
    is me or her." Then she asked if she could go over my head to the VP (my chauvinist
    asswhole boss I mentioned elsewhere).

I go to him with this and he said "obviously she doesn't have the bandwidth to do this job,
    start looking for a replacement." She will be gone after the first of the year, we hired a new
    guy today to start training for her job. We don't have the time to put up with crap like this.
    This is a good real life example of #8 in practice.

I limit my communication with my boss to grunts and monosyllabic words.

It seems to be working well.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

I get a kick out of my boss. It's kind of like working for Lou Grant on the MTM show.
    He is so un-PC and grouchy, but deep down has a heart of gold. They definitely
    broke the mold when he was made.

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    I limit my communication with my boss to grunts and monosyllabic words.

It seems to be working well.
    As a boss, I'm fine with this. So long as the work gets done, I don't need or want to "communicate" with employees. If somebody has an incredible idea, they will email me and if it pans out, they will get a promotion or some other valuable consideration.

I hate the touchy-feely people who have interpersonal conflicts. I couldn't do anything about this in high school and nothing has changed since then.

I could work with Satan if he was civil and minded his own business.

I may actually have worked with Satan a couple of times.

Fabulous Poster
    I always wondered why there had to be politics in the workplace.
    I always wondered why there had to be conniving and manipulation in the workplace.
    I always noticed that people who accepted the conniving and manipulation and mastered the politics seemed to do best in the workplace.
    I also noticed that more and more men seemed to be opting out of the "professional" workplace... they'd rather cut lawns or work construction than put up with the bullshit of the "professional" workplace.
    I noticed that most of the women in the workplace were just there for the benefits while their husbands brought down the real bacon in the trades.
    Whenever my boss asked me to come in and sit down, I would always keep standing and ask "Am I fired?" before sitting down. If I was going to be fired, I didn't want to listen to a mess of crap. If it was late in the day, I had better not be getting fired. If you are going to fire someone, don't piss away a perfectly beautiful day that he could have been fishing, he might kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I also noticed that more and more men seemed to be opting out of the "professional" workplace... they'd rather cut lawns or work construction than put up with the bullshit of the "professional" workplace.
    Very true, but sometimes we have our share of politics in construction too, you would be surprised.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Very true, but sometimes we have our share of politics in construction too, you would be surprised.
    I think anywhere you have colorful, strong personalities AND a lot of money on the line... you have politics.