Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My mom thinks the turkey has to be "done done". That means that the leg falls off.
    Actually that is kind of the way I like them, maybe not quite that done but close.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

My mom thinks the turkey has to be "done done". That means that the leg falls off.
    My mother as well. Whatever the recommended cooking time is, she adds another 3-4 hours. And then she marvels and clucks about how the meat is "just falling right off the bone". Thank god my sister took over Thanksgiving a few years ago.

The good thing about my mom's turkey was that the dryness was overcome by the oil slick she called gravy.

You have not experience horror until you've had microwaved turkey served to you. That was the last time my aunt was allowed to host ANYTHING.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

It depends on how they are done. Indoors, I cook mine in a huge clay pot and meat is succulent but it's literally falling off the bones. Outdoors, I use the smoker and get the same results.

Oven roasting a turkey is dicey. If the leg is falling apart, the breast is usally too dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It depends on how they are done. Indoors, I cook mine in a huge clay pot and meat is succulent but it's literally falling off the bones. Outdoors, I use the smoker and get the same results.

Oven roasting a turkey is dicey. If the leg is falling apart, the breast is usally too dry.
    Not if you cook it on the breast.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Not if you cook it on the breast.
    Meh. I can't be bothered with all that flipping or basting. I love clay pot cooking and I'll never go back. ;)

Meh. I can't be bothered with all that flipping or basting. I love clay pot cooking and I'll never go back. ;)
    flipping? What for?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    flipping? What for?
    Most people who cook turkey breast down flip it for a half an hour at the end to brown the skin and dry it.

Most people who cook turkey breast down flip it for a half an hour at the end to brown the skin and dry it.
    meh. I peal it off.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    My mother as well. Whatever the recommended cooking time is, she adds another 3-4 hours. And then she marvels and clucks about how the meat is "just falling right off the bone". Thank god my sister took over Thanksgiving a few years ago.

The good thing about my mom's turkey was that the dryness was overcome by the oil slick she called gravy.

The key to having tender and juicy turkey is cooking to an internal temp of about 165. It really starts drying out at 180. At 190 and above it starts to transition into thick cardboard.