1. #1 DUmmies fixate on stupid shit some more. 
    tavalon (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-24-10 10:47 AM
    Original message
    Eye-rack? Eye-rack!

If we're going to completely destroy a country, couldn't we at the very least, show them the respect of pronouncing the name of the country correctly? Sure, I know Dumbya said Iraq that way but he's a fucking moron. I heard VP Biden say it that way this morning and it's just like fingers across a chalkboard. He is too smart and too worldly to pronounce Iraq incorrectly but there it was. Why?
    NRaleighLiberal (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-24-10 10:51 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. makes me want to go Nook You Lar when I hear it that way!
    Edited on Fri Dec-24-10 10:51 AM by NRaleighLiberal

Seriously, I agree - I used to think the Eye Rack vs EEE Rock thing was a way to separate left from right, but it seems to be more muddled. And the Nuk You Lar thing also seems to cross political leanings, for whatever reason.
    Fumesucker (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-24-10 10:51 AM
    2. Pandering to the Bubba demographic no doubt.
    Tell me how to pronounce Qatar.

Stinky The Clown (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-24-10 10:54 AM
    3. I totally agree with you. "The celebration of American ignorance."
    Same question.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ress=439x65138

Fuckin idiots.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Tell me how to pronounce Qatar.

Same question.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ress=439x65138

Fuckin idiots.
    I think that Eye-rak sounds about as ignorant as my cousins who say Eye-talian and Po'-lice.

Pronouncing Qatar cutter rather than kahtar is displeasing to the ear, even if it's correct.

I don't know who gets to decide these things. A person would be considered affected if he referred to his trip to "pair-ree (Paris)" , I doubt anyone knows the proper way to pronounce the place where you are now, we have more names for Peking and Bombay than we do for our own towns.

But while we are on the subject: why is it that politicians and newspeople do their best to pronounce some places names in keeping with the local peasants (Nevada, Nebraska, Missouri) but none of these same people say "Ballimer Murland, Challeston Sow Cayohlienah, Ferginia, Tinissee, or Floorda"?

Challange:

LaFayette.

Put the emPHAsis on the proper sylLABle.

Pronounce LaFayette, Louisiana. "LAFF-ee-yet"

Pronounce LaFayette, Tennessee. "La-FAY-ette"

Pronounce LaFayette, the explorer. "Lah fah YET."

Of all the stupid shit to get bent out of shape over, this one probably ranks as number 2 below "Democraticicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicic. " They fancy themselves self-made geniuses, and yet they can't be troubled to bother reading the actual Constitution, much less having a basic understanding of the law.

Morons.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Challange:

LaFayette.

Put the emPHAsis on the proper sylLABle.

Pronounce LaFayette, Louisiana. "LAFF-ee-yet"

Pronounce LaFayette, Tennessee. "La-FAY-ette"

Pronounce LaFayette, the explorer. "Lah fah YET."

Of all the stupid shit to get bent out of shape over, this one probably ranks as number 2 below "Democraticicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicicic. " They fancy themselves self-made geniuses, and yet they can't be troubled to bother reading the actual Constitution, much less having a basic understanding of the law.

Morons.
    Democratic Party is a proper noun, so fucking with it to annoy is childish. Not as childish as using the wrong name then complaining about the people who are complaining because you are trying to annoy them, but that's juvenile politics for you.

My three great uncles were Lafayette Novaheart, Burgoyne Novaheart, and Andrew Jackson Novaheart. Lafayette was called "Uncle Laif" , I never met Burgoyne, and Andrew's nickname "jack". My great great grandfather's name was George Washington Novaheart and went through life as "General Washington". I come from a long line of hicks. Some of it's cute and some of it is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Democratic Party is a proper noun, so fucking with it to annoy is childish..
    Do you even know, to what, he was referring.... hmmmm?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Democratic Party is a proper noun, so fucking with it to annoy is childish. Not as childish as using the wrong name then complaining about the people who are complaining because you are trying to annoy them, but that's juvenile politics for you.
    Congratulations, Bok. You've managed to gin up the officially stupidest outrage ever conceived.

Well done.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Congratulations, Bok. You've managed to gin up the officially stupidest outrage ever conceived.

Well done.
    One idiot here or there would be one thing, but the fact that saying "Democrat Party" is the stylebook for conservative talk radio takes it to another level. It's childish.

One idiot here or there would be one thing, but the fact that saying "Democrat Party" is the stylebook for conservative talk radio takes it to another level. It's childish.
    What is your DU screen name?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Check out history mkay?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot