Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it, but there are some similarities between the Mormons and the Nation of Islam.

• They both qualify as cults

• They both took an existing religion, added a great deal of fabricated history to it as well as some rites.

• They are both racist, sexist, homophobic, insular, and obnoxious.
    Um, yeah. Mormons are racist: http://www.blacklds.org/

Also, I don't recall any stories about Mormons crashing airplanes into buildings, lopping off the heads of unbelievers, or blowing up pizza parlors.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

Also, I don't recall any stories about Mormons crashing airplanes into buildings, lopping off the heads of unbelievers, or blowing up pizza parlors.
    The comparison was to the Nation of Islam, a proper noun, not a general reference to Islam.

The comparison was to the Nation of Islam, a proper noun, not a general reference to Islam.
    OK. Then I don't recall a segment of the Latter Day Saints branching off to become a violent street gang. And the point still stands about the Mormons and racism.

I hadn't really thought about it, but there are some similarities between the Mormons and the Nation of Islam.

• They both qualify as cults

• They both took an existing religion, added a great deal of fabricated history to it as well as some rites.

• They are both racist, sexist, homophobic, insular, and obnoxious.
    Yes, but in your view, all religions qualify as cults. You have very little standing on this issue.
    OK. Then I don't recall a segment of the Latter Day Saints branching off to become a violent street gang. And the point still stands about the Mormons and racism.
    In all fairness, the LDS started out as a pretty violent group, especially the Dannites, but they are about as peaceful and open as any religion today. I've served with a lot of them over the years, and invariably they are among the kindest and most decent people that I've known.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Yes, but in your view, all religions qualify as cults. You have very little standing on this issue.

In all fairness, the LDS started out as a pretty violent group, especially the Dannites, but they are about as peaceful and open as any religion today. I've served with a lot of them over the years, and invariably they are among the kindest and most decent people that I've known.
    Watch this: http://1857massacre.com/:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Calling nation of islam muslim is like calling mormons or westboro baptists Christians.
    They are both darker and full of shit, unlike real Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

True, however, there are no Dannites in prison. 5%ers however...

I agree. That cult of theirs though??????????????????Just wow!:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I had to look up 5 Percenters because I've never even heard of it.

Damn. Really strange stuff.

Clarence13X cracked me up.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!