Thread: The Palestinian Agenda: End Israel, Not Found a State

1. #1 The Palestinian Agenda: End Israel, Not Found a State 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    What do the Palestinians want? The boilerplate answer is that they want their own state, and as far as this goes, it is certainly true. But the issue is far more complex than such a simple rejoinder would suggest.
    snip
    It is true, then, that the Palestinians want a state, but it is not the state that Israel has offered to facilitate and that Western politicians perceive as the gleaming destination at the end of the road map.

The Palestinians want a totalistic entity built on the debris of Israel, bordering Jordan to the east, the Mediterranean to the west, Lebanon to the north, and Egypt to the south. It is also true that they do not want a state, and the state they do not want is Israel — as the Fatah charter, like the Hamas covenant, makes abundantly clear.

Neill Lochery justly remarks in Why Blame Israel?

that this is the reason they have repudiated every concrete proposal for statehood in the early negotiations when Israel did not yet exist as an internationally recognized nation. That, he writes, “would have led to the establishment of a Jewish state.”

The rejectionist position still holds. When Yasser Abed Rabbo, a member of the PLO’s Executive Committee, offered to recognize Israel as a Jewish state on certain (unacceptable) conditions, he was immediately condemned for perpetrating a “national crime,” subjected to calls for his removal from office, and forced to retract.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-pal...inglepage=true

Fabulous Poster
    I always give Israel credit for knowing what they are doing, but if I were the president and soon to be dictator of Israel, I would give the "Palestinians" ten days to get out of all Israeli controlled territory, including Gaza and the West Bank.

Frankly, I'm all for giving the Palestinians a wad of cash and a stash of weapons, and the keys to Somalia. Kill two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I always give Israel credit for knowing what they are doing, but if I were the president and soon to be dictator of Israel, I would give the "Palestinians" ten days to get out of all Israeli controlled territory, including Gaza and the West Bank.

Frankly, I'm all for giving the Palestinians a wad of cash and a stash of weapons, and the keys to Somalia. Kill two birds with one stone.
    Wouldn't work. They'd take the cash and weapons, go to Somalia and ally themselves with the local warlords. Eventually, Hamas would defeat Fatah, Somalia would remain a failed state, and Hamas would have greater freedom of action.

The problem is that no matter what the Israelis do, they will still have a problem on their hands. Even if they managed to expel every Palestinian from the West Bank and Gaza, none of the Arab states will accept them. Instead, they will just build new camps for them within striking distance of Israel (remember, it was the Arabs and the UN that established the refugee camps in the first place, and then kept them there for two decades before the Six-Day War) and then continue the same policies, but with more propaganda about the "evil" Israelis taking "their" land.

The Palestinians have steeped their children in irrational hatred and the surrounding Arab states have perpetuated the state of war because they cannot live with any infidel state on lands that were part of Dar al Salaam, no matter how tenuous the connection. There will never be peace as long as Arabs hate Jews more than they love their own children.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!