Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1 America's Dangerous Rush to Shrink Its Military Power 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    From the president on down through his secretary of defense, the service secretaries, and a cast of generals whose decorations would choke an alpine meadow with color, we are told that further reductions in American military power are warranted and unavoidable.

    This view is supported by the left, the right that unwisely fears accounting more than war, by most of the press, the academy, and perhaps a majority of Americans, and it is demonstrably and dangerously wrong.

    Based upon nothing and ignoring the cautionary example of World War II, we are told that we will never face two major enemies..

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...nion#printMode
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    What is he talking about?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,878
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    What is he talking about?
    This is a wall street Journal article talking about how the president of the United States Is Cutting back our military.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    This is a wall street Journal article talking about how the president of the United States Is Cutting back our military.
    It's a WSJ Op Ed peice that had no references at all from what I saw. Maybe I missed something, but all that came up for me was the three paragraphs that Megi linked. There was no mention of any specific cut backs or anything. I did a pretty good check of current stories from various sites as well and found nothing at all, nor have I heard anything in the military channels about proposed cuts, outside of things like the pay freeze and etc.

    So what am I missing here?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,878
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    It's a WSJ Op Ed peice that had no references at all from what I saw. Maybe I missed something, but all that came up for me was the three paragraphs that Megi linked. There was no mention of any specific cut backs or anything. I did a pretty good check of current stories from various sites as well and found nothing at all, nor have I heard anything in the military channels about proposed cuts, outside of things like the pay freeze and etc.

    So what am I missing here?
    I can't fill you in on two years of budget cuts and downsizing, I thought you got the same news as everyone else.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I can't fill you in on two years of budget cuts and downsizing, I thought you got the same news as everyone else.
    Ummm... DoD budget has increased over the last two years and it's expected to continue increasing over the next couple. So what cuts?

    And there has been no downsizing. The Army and Marines were approved in 2007 for a five year increase in troop strength of the scale of 100,000. The Air Force and Navy have received some "cuts" to personnel, but that is because they where over what they were already allowed to have, and have been cutting back to meet their mandated manpower totals.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,878
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Ummm... DoD budget has increased over the last two years and it's expected to continue increasing over the next couple. So what cuts?

    And there has been no downsizing. The Army and Marines were approved in 2007 for a five year increase in troop strength of the scale of 100,000. The Air Force and Navy have received some "cuts" to personnel, but that is because they where over what they were already allowed to have, and have been cutting back to meet their mandated manpower totals.
    No missile defense cuts, no missile cuts, no cutbacks on fighter planes? How is the big cost of living raise working out for you. You are the first military person I have heard defend Obama in this way.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    No missile defense cuts, no missile cuts, no cutbacks on fighter planes? How is the big cost of living raise working out for you. You are the first military person I have heard defend Obama in this way.
    2011 budget has money for a missile defense system, and there have been no cutbacks made on Fighters under the Obama administration. 2011 is ending the F-35 alternate engine production, but that is because no one wanted it, and it was a waste of money.

    And COLA is determined by the strength of the local economy. Since the economy has been shit, and cost of living has shrunk, so has COLA. It's like that stateside or overseas. In Japan whenever the Yen devalued to the dollar, we'd get less COLA. Whenever it strengthened, we'd get more.

    But in the end, budgets have still risen, and troop strengths have still risen as well. Programs get cut all the time in the DoD, that doesn't matter whose sitting in the Oval Office. What matters is that we have the money we need to keep the fight going, and we are getting that.

    I'm not defending Obama with any of this. I'm just stating the facts.
    Last edited by djones520; 12-27-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,878
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    2011 budget has money for a missile defense system, and there have been no cutbacks made on Fighters under the Obama administration. 2011 is ending the F-35 alternate engine production, but that is because no one wanted it, and it was a waste of money.

    And COLA is determined by the strength of the local economy. Since the economy has been shit, and cost of living has shrunk, so has COLA. It's like that stateside or overseas. In Japan whenever the Yen devalued to the dollar, we'd get less COLA. Whenever it strengthened, we'd get more.

    But in the end, budgets have still risen, and troop strengths have still risen as well. Programs get cut all the time in the DoD, that doesn't matter whose sitting in the Oval Office. What matters is that we have the money we need to keep the fight going, and we are getting that.

    I'm not defending Obama with any of this. I'm just stating the facts.
    The treaty he pushed through stopped missile defense.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The treaty he pushed through stopped missile defense.

    3. Each Party shall not convert and shall not use ICBM
    launchers and SLBM launchers for placement of missile defense
    interceptors therein. Each Party further shall not convert
    and shall not use launchers of missile defense interceptors
    for placement of ICBMs and SLBMs therein. This provision
    shall not apply to ICBM launchers that were converted prior to
    signature of this Treaty for placement of missile defense
    interceptors therein
    So... we can't put our missile defence system in our ICBM bunkers. That hardly stops missile defense. That is the only part of the START treaty that touches on Missile Defense.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •