Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Computer - repair or upgrade? 
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    Well, as mentioned in another thread, my computer has gone and died on me. I'm fairly certain (about 90%) that it is the motherboard that has been fried.

    Unfortunately I was using an AMD socket 939 chip, and motherboards for those are hard to find. And considering that the computer is probably about 3-4 years old, it might be time to upgrade.

    I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace the motherboard & chip, and maybe add a second gig. of RAM. Of course at that point Windows is probably going to piss out on me, and I'll have to buy a new copy. So by the time I add in a motherboard, processor, ram, and XP, I'm nearing the cost of a new computer.

    Anyway, I'm just looking for thoughts, should I try to repair the current computer, or look for a new one? I'm generally a proponent of build it yourself, I just don't have the time to do so right now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member enslaved1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kingman, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,221
    If just the MB fried out, you don't have to buy a new CPU, just find a motherboard that it fits. Google popped up three MBs ranging from $65-131.

    Do you just have the "only for reinstalling Windows on name of company computers" CD, or do you have an actual XP CD? If the latter, you can reinstall if it poops out on you. If the former, our computer recycling/used parts store sells the XP disks that they get (real, legit, product keys, whole nine yards) real cheap. Look around and see if someone around you offers the same deal.

    If you do end up need all that you listed, you probably are better off getting a new PC. The money will add up, and putting everything together can be a pain in the butt. If you take that option, I've got an address you can send the old box to. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    If just the MB fried out, you don't have to buy a new CPU, just find a motherboard that it fits. Google popped up three MBs ranging from $65-131.
    I tried both NewEgg and TomsHardware. Those that aren't out of stock are "refurbished" or "open box," a little scary, especially with no refund.

    Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    Do you just have the "only for reinstalling Windows on name of company computers" CD, or do you have an actual XP CD? If the latter, you can reinstall if it poops out on you. If the former, our computer recycling/used parts store sells the XP disks that they get (real, legit, product keys, whole nine yards) real cheap. Look around and see if someone around you offers the same deal.
    I have the CD, but Microsoft has a great new program that registers your computer hardware profile so you can't install Windows on two computers. I'm worried that replacing my motherboard is going to change my hardware profile sufficiently so that Microsoft will say I have a "new computer" and won't let me update. Talking to MS support confirms that this is a potential problem. They said no fix, so I would have to buy a new copy of XP (well, they said Vista, but...yeah, right).

    Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    If you do end up need all that you listed, you probably are better off getting a new PC. The money will add up, and putting everything together can be a pain in the butt. If you take that option, I've got an address you can send the old box to. :D
    I'd recycle most of the components into the new system, but if you want a shot motherboard and a 3 year old processor, I suppose I could accomodate you. ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member FeebMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,008
    I bought a Socket 939 back in the day myself. Bad timing on that one.

    I'd go new, or at least new mb and processor. Not much in the way of upgrades available for the 939s assuming you want to take that route in the future. At least you'll have the option.

    Whatever you do, definitely get the 2nd gig of ram.

    You should be ok with your current windows disk. I forget the cutoff (3 installs on different hardware maybe?) but you should still be able to activate it automatically. Even if you can't you should be able to do it manually over the phone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member MstrBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Posts
    657
    As much as I am a supporter of Build-it-yourself, from your description, I would say spring for the new system.

    You may be able to incorporate some of your existing hardware into the new, as well.
    As for the info from MS Support, I think that they are giving you a run-around.
    Granted, it was a couple years ago, but I had a similar situation while I was still running XP.
    After the repairs and software reload, I called Support because XP would not reload to the repaired system. Basically, they wiped the information that they had on file for me, which allowed me to register the software as a new package.
    They did not want to do it, even then. It took several "Connect me with your Manager" demands.

    Best of Luck!
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Well, as mentioned in another thread, my computer has gone and died on me. I'm fairly certain (about 90%) that it is the motherboard that has been fried.

    Unfortunately I was using an AMD socket 939 chip, and motherboards for those are hard to find. And considering that the computer is probably about 3-4 years old, it might be time to upgrade.

    I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace the motherboard & chip, and maybe add a second gig. of RAM. Of course at that point Windows is probably going to piss out on me, and I'll have to buy a new copy. So by the time I add in a motherboard, processor, ram, and XP, I'm nearing the cost of a new computer.If you can get the

    Anyway, I'm just looking for thoughts, should I try to repair the current computer, or look for a new one? I'm generally a proponent of build it yourself, I just don't have the time to do so right now.
    By the time you get done screwing around with all of the 'gotchas' out there and to save your sanity buy a new one.stay away from the operating system of the month and get 'XP pro. to avoid all of the compatable issues.Some day I will be able to buy a version of clean PC Unix and avoid Microsoft and all of their crap.Microsoft has been caught several times changing on line various sections of their code without the computers owners permission.

    They also are able to track and report your music and movies files on storage to RIAA and MPAA .It's much better to have your personal stuff on a off line system adding strong inter computer security without any Microsoft spy-code on it.

    Also if the Homeland security people haven't demanded Microsoft backdoor them into any computer they find they sure soon will .All of this Wi-Fi and home wireless nets are like mothers milk to NSA if they are so inclined.

    The Arabs are getting smarter and most avoid cells and laptops these days and have gone back to old and reliable nike-net again .

    Even Intel and AMD are required to provide hardware entry Microcode to the government as
    part of their chip design !

    Computers are like cars,when they get old and cranky it's time to buy a new one if you want reliable transportation But keep the old one to play Design Engineer with.I recently purchased a new three hundred twenty gig drive for this one and that's the last I spend on this old box .

    If you get a new one buy lots of storage and memory depending on what you will do with it.I will eventually update/replace this one and add more storage and a larger working set of memory .I have an itch to go back and play with Unix and 'C' in it's many variations ,+.++.+++ ,maybe even back to the caves and use Fortran again,its been many years !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member enslaved1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kingman, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post

    I have the CD, but Microsoft has a great new program that registers your computer hardware profile so you can't install Windows on two computers. I'm worried that replacing my motherboard is going to change my hardware profile sufficiently so that Microsoft will say I have a "new computer" and won't let me update. Talking to MS support confirms that this is a potential problem. They said no fix, so I would have to buy a new copy of XP (well, they said Vista, but...yeah, right).
    That's odd. I frankenstined a box together, installed the cheap XP we got from the PC recycling place, registered it, and a few weeks later, put together another box for one of the kids, installed the same XP, and registered it, no problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by biccat
    I'd recycle most of the components into the new system, but if you want a shot motherboard and a 3 year old processor, I suppose I could accomodate you.
    I got one ancient box from work that I haven't played with yet, but I opened it up and found a whole 8mb of ram on two sticks. I'll probably turn it into a C64 or Amiga with emulators, just for poops and giggles. It will be pointless, but quite entertaining.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •