Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Whats Wrong With America? "The power of The Union Stagehands Makes $290K a Year !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The power of unions: Average stagehand at Lincoln Center in NYC makes $290K a year

Columnist James Ahearn of New Jersey's Bergen Record has a great column today on, of all things, the stagehands at New York city's top performing arts venues such as Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall. These are not highly skilled or technical jobs but take a gander at how much they are paid:

At Avery Fisher Hall and Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center, the average stagehand salary and benefits package is $290,000 a year.

To repeat, that is the average compensation of all the workers who move musicians' chairs into place and hang lights, not the pay of the top five.

Across the plaza at the Metropolitan Opera, a spokesman said stagehands rarely broke into the top-five category. But a couple of years ago, one did. The props master, James Blumenfeld, got $334,000 at that time, including some vacation back pay.

Ahern also notes that the top paid stagehand at Carnegie Hall makes $422,599 a year in salary, plus $107,445 in benefits and deferred compensation. So why such exorbitant pay? You probably already guessed that a union is involved:

How to account for all this munificence? The power of a union, Local 1 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. "Power," as in the capacity and willingness to close most Broadway theaters for 19 days two years ago when agreement on a new contract could not be reached.

Wakin reported that this power was palpable in the nervousness of theater administrators and performers who were asked to comment on the salary figures.

Kelly Hall-Tompkins, for one, said, "The last thing I want to do is upset the people at Carnegie Hall. I'd like to have a lifelong relationship with them." She is a violinist who recently presented a recital in Weill Hall, one of the smaller performance spaces in the building.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...akes-290k-year

Look at all this envy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Look at all this envy.
    Of you ?Who in their right mind envy you wi wi ?

You are the most pathetic critter on the boards.The only reason you aren't on most members ignore list is your entertainment factor as the CU clown.

It's Wilbur for Athiesm and the redicule of Christians in general,Nova Lox For Queer support and justification .And the rest of the NU remnant for general gay and liberal backing .

I wont pick on our deployed expert in all things military due to board rules concerning serving
    military members .

They must have been awfully conflicted before the tax deal got passed. All those "little people" who Obama and the Democrats were calling "the rich."
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Of you ?Who in their right mind envy you wi wi ?

You are the most pathetic critter on the boards.The only reason you aren't on most members ignore list is your entertainment factor as the CU clown.

It's Wilbur for Athiesm and the redicule of Christians in general,Nova Lox For Queer support and justification .And the rest of the NU remnant for general gay and liberal backing .

I wont pick on our deployed expert in all things military due to board rules concerning serving
    military members .
    Why are you so nasty?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Why are you so nasty?
    Moo be nice or little Nova will take his dolly and go home!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Why are you so nasty?
    Just calling them as I see them !Are you employing the standard progressive call for a civil discourse after playing every dirty card in your arsenal ? I have come to the conclusion that your brand of politics is geared to destroying our Great country and that you have little love for America as it now stands. You are intent on either its change or it's destruction.Rather like the old sixties hippie cry 'America...Change It Or Lose It !'

Why are you so nasty?
    Why are you such a degenerate, lying sack of shit?
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    They must have been awfully conflicted before the tax deal got passed. All those "little people" who Obama and the Democrats were calling "the rich."
    Hey, people can barely survive on $290k in Manhattan!!!! :D
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Sometimes when I read the posts, this is the only sound I can hear:

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.