Thread: Crazy Virus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Crazy Virus. 
    I got infected with a fake alert virus (from a knitting pattern site of all things) and also a Google redirect virus.

The virus prevented me from using Malwarebytes until I figured out a workaround. I ran Rkill and Malwarebytes as well as my usual firewall stuff. Now things seem normal but I'm hesitant to reboot since when I did before (midway through the scouring process), the fake alert returned.

Is there anything else I should run before rebooting? I use this notebook every day so theoretically, I could just let it sleep and never reboot until replacing the battery. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I got infected with a fake alert virus (from a knitting pattern site of all things) and also a Google redirect virus.

The virus prevented me from using Malwarebytes until I figured out a workaround. I ran Rkill and Malwarebytes as well as my usual firewall stuff. Now things seem normal but I'm hesitant to reboot since when I did before (midway through the scouring process), the fake alert returned.

Is there anything else I should run before rebooting? I use this notebook every day so theoretically, I could just let it sleep and never reboot until replacing the battery. ;)
    If it was me I would reformat the drive and reload Windows.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

An Adversary of Linda #'s

I had the same problem with that virus.My daughter uses AVAST PRO and after a couple of running it days the virus was locked in the Virus vault .
    VIRUS NAME
    WIN 32:FakeAV-ANH
    JS:FakeWarn-E

there were five of them scattered in various directories but they are gone now.I hate to pay for software but that thing had me all locked up.

The symptoms that you describe are much the same,as long as you are in an executable no problem but going back to the exec the virus locks you out.

The virus was smart enough to corrupt my system restore files disabling my ability to restart at an earlier uncorrupted date.

http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I tried that but the Virus was in SyS$Root .I swapped drives to an older smaller XP backup and the virus jumped to that drive.After I installed AVAST I was able to delouse both drives !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

The virus was smart enough to corrupt my system restore files disabling my ability to restart at an earlier uncorrupted date.
    This is something I'm kind of worried about. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If it was me, I'd get a mac.

But then, it is me, so I don't need to.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I tried that but the Virus was in SyS$Root .I swapped drives to an older smaller XP backup and the virus jumped to that drive.After I installed AVAST I was able to delouse both drives !
    Avast is what I use.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

This is something I'm kind of worried about. :(
    It didn't disturb any of my data but tried to get me to load their so called anti virus crap.With my new anti virus suite running it blasts a warning when ever I visit a virus honey pot site by accident .

This Trojan uses psychological warfare and accuses me of visiting 'X' rated sites displaying pages from hard core sites to drive me to load their software with a larger virus load.

But I am innocent of those charges...honest !

After running it for a few days I changed the scan parameters and did a deep system scan on both drives that ran for several days.That picked up two more 'sleeper' viruses and locked them up in the vault !I'm sure there are a few more lurking somewhere on the drives but time will tell !

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    If it was me, I'd get a mac.

But then, it is me, so I don't need to.
    yawn
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    yawn
    I don't think a Mac could run something as complicated as a virus!