Thread: Crazy Virus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Those stupid redirect viruses were some of the most troublesome I've had to deal with. They kept coming back. I downloaded hitman pro, as well as combo fix. I turned off restore points before running the programs because somebody told me some crap could hide in there. Afterwards, I recreated a restore point right after the cleaning. Another program I've heard good things about is TDSS killer. A redirect virus is basically a TDSS virus that is very good at hiding.
    I was in St Louis and stayed with a friend. She was on Facebook and was caught by that virus. I was unable to post on CU for some time, as her computer was being repaired (or attempted) by a mutual friend's husband. He is a total computer geek/wizard, but could never get rid of that virus. He finally had to reload everything. So far she's ok.

He said when he went into the office, there were 6 people who had brought in their laptops with the same virus. Other friends have also fallen victim to it.

My friend got a message that she had a virus and was directed by the virus to follow the links to fix it. Naturally, it just took over her system. I'm glad she didn't follow the further directions to give her credit card number to pay the virus to fix itself.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Can you tell me more about TDSS killer? Frankly, I'm afraid to run Combofix without somebody holding my hand. :eek:
    Best to be careful with that free anti virus stuff.There are a number of them that actually install Trojans along with their so called virus fixes.Spend some time on the anti virus boards and read what they say.There's some good information available there.

Many folks are infected by the same Trojans as you and they have lots to say about how they finally fixed their problems.They also know which software houses actually install viruses and Trojans on your system.

Think about it ,Who benefits the most by you having a Trojan and are unable to use your laptop ?The people who write and sell the anti_virus software .They know that eventually you will buy software to clean out the bugs and it may be theirs.

Just about every home in America has at least one PC and if they are all Infected over time that's hundreds of million of dollars per anti virus house .

3. #23 So far, so good! (Update on redirect virus.) 
    I went ahead and ran TDSS killer (it didn't find anything) so I took a deep breath and rebooted. All is well. (I think.)

For others with this problem, here's what I did:

Run rKill and then run Malwarebytes (do a full scan). If you can't run those programs because the virus is preventing it, create a desktop shortcut for rKill, reboot, and hit the shortcut before all your normal shields kick in.

Follow the instructions and then update and run your normal anti-virus stuff. Run TDSS too - it can't hurt (thanks Lager!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I don't think a Mac could run something as complicated as a virus!
    :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Another Virus help is to not do daily work on an admin account - save the admin account for when you have to install something - something you know is safe. If you don't have admin privileges most viruses cannot install themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Another Virus help is to not do daily work on an admin account - save the admin account for when you have to install something - something you know is safe. If you don't have admin privileges most viruses cannot install themselves.
    I wasn't in Admin mode and it got me. I wasn't even downloading anything. The virus got me when I clicked on an image of a pattern to enlarge it. :(

I wasn't in Admin mode and it got me. I wasn't even downloading anything. The virus got me when I clicked on an image of a pattern to enlarge it. :(
    IE?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    IE?
    Firefox. In fact, Firefox got totally corrupted and I had to use IE to get to Bleeping Computer for insight on the virus.

Firefox. In fact, Firefox got totally corrupted and I had to use IE to get to Bleeping Computer for insight on the virus.
    wow that is crazy! Just goes to show you can't trust knitters.

They're getting sneakier. I seldom use Admin mode and I got one. I still am not sure how or where.