Thread: In The Worst Economy Ever, People Are Quitting Their Jobs With Nothing Else Lined Up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 In The Worst Economy Ever, People Are Quitting Their Jobs With Nothing Else Lined Up 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    One piece of career advice has been ingrained in all of us: never quit a job without another opportunity lined up. ....It is much harder to get a new job when you don't already have one. In the crummiest economy ever, this advice is losing its luster. More and more people seem to be saying, "To hell with work.

To hell with being unhappy. I'll quit and find something I like better." Business Insider created a survey to see if this was a real trend -- and it is.

After surveying 225 people, here are the major findings:

* 93% quit jobs in the past two years* Note: we asked for people who had quit their jobs recently to fill out the survey, this stat/question is meant as an intro, not an overall finding

* 57% quit jobs in the past two years without another opportunity lined up

* It's not just young people who are doing this: 54% of people ages 25-34 quit without another opportunity versus 55% of people ages 35-49.

* 63% are serial quitters, having quit two or more jobs throughout their careers

Why people are quitting is the most surprising finding of all: it's because they're not happy and simply do not like their jobs (65%).

Other driving forces: needing a change (63%), being bored/not challenged (55%) and disliking bosses (41%).

This begs the question, what are "quitters" living off of? Most mentioned their savings account (72%).

When you're young, you don't have many financial obligations; this could be why more Gen Yers are able to quit when they're unhappy. Most people surveyed were between the ages of 25 and 49 (82%).

If you're one of the many people who are unwillingly unemployed, this article is probably making you seethe. So many people are losing or unable to find jobs; how can people who are employed think they're anything but lucky? Is it a lack of maturity in younger professionals, or is the pursuit of happiness a new, permanent, trend?

http://www.businessinsider.com/in-th...ned-up-2010-12

Fabulous Poster
    Some of the people I have most admired were quitters.

When I worked for Megabank, I was sitting at my desk one day supervising, when a young man who had been recently hired got up from his cubie, said, "I can't do this anymore." and took off his headset. As it was common for front line employees to get bitched out and frustrated, I went to console him and get him back on the phone.

So I asked him why he was quitting. His response was, "I'm a Catholic , my faith does not permit me to treat people this way." Since I knew exactly what he meant, then I didn't argue with him. We did treat people like shit. We set them up to mess up, and then charged them for it. We played games with people's lives and credit, unnecessary games, games only credit card companies play.

Megabank subsequently moved that young man's job to India. At 22 he was a better judge of character than I was.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Some of the people I have most admired were quitters.

When I worked for Megabank, I was sitting at my desk one day supervising, when a young man who had been recently hired got up from his cubie, said, "I can't do this anymore." and took off his headset. As it was common for front line employees to get bitched out and frustrated, I went to console him and get him back on the phone.

So I asked him why he was quitting. His response was, "I'm a Catholic , my faith does not permit me to treat people this way." Since I knew exactly what he meant, then I didn't argue with him. We did treat people like shit. We set them up to mess up, and then charged them for it. We played games with people's lives and credit, unnecessary games, games only credit card companies play.

Megabank subsequently moved that young man's job to India. At 22 he was a better judge of character than I was.
    So on top of all your other obvious failings you were also a loan sharp ?........For Shame .....

Yeah, I can understand this.

The way I see it if you are smart, willing to learning, and hard working... you can succeed no matter where you work.

I had a long career. I guess it was long because I retired this month.

I must be a serial quitter, since I quit 6 jobs. And come to think of it, I almost never had anything else lined up.

But it came out alright. We have everything paid for and enough money to last us the rest of our lives.

But I sure am glad I'm not just starting out now.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Yeah, I can understand this.

The way I see it if you are smart, willing to learning, and hard working... you can succeed no matter where you work.
    Not always.

I would have to move to get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Not always.

I would have to move to get promoted.
    What's wrong with moving?

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    What's wrong with moving?
    Man, I ditto that question.

Where I live (Mississippi) there are few opportunities that would lead to long term fulfilling careers. And yet I hear it all the time - "I'd have to move!"; "All my friends are here!"
    I don't get it.

In my career I moved. And traveled. And it paid off, too.

I've said it a thousand times; There is a career behind every job.

Refusing to move is, IMO, one of the primary reasons for failure or mediocre success.

Banned
    The Bush Administration almost cashed in our entire nation , we must now pick up the pieces and move forward.

Positive job growth
    Positive GDP growth
    A recovered DOW market
    A deficit smaller than last years deficit

We are now moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post

Refusing to move is, IMO, one of the primary reasons for failure or mediocre success.
    It's also tied into the housing bubble. Just a cycle of fail. :p My career has taken me to 4 countries now. Good stuff.